Chapter 29

A/N: You know the drill. Totally unedited, not even a glimpse of reread. Just tossing these chapters up so I can do a full clean edit at the end. Just a friendly reminder cause i'm semi embarrassed and ashamed but determined to finish anyway. 

Don't forget to vote! 

*

Somehow it felt like Charlie was getting bolder every time he saw me. 

Whether it's 'cause he's liking me more or just getting used to me more, the effect it had on me was always the same. I'd clamor up like an idiot and stop being able to look inside those intense, solid dark eyes.

His clown personality didn't suit those eyes.

Seeing him swear took me by massive surprise. It was disconcerting to have a drama unfold in front of me, right before my eyes and ears, and not be able to hear any of it. Ikeisha did some vague explaining about Charlie going back to his usual troublesome, clownish self, but this teacher seemed to deserve it after some insensitive remark about hearing.

Was it just me, or was he getting more protective and sensitive to me every day? Not just me, but a disability in general. It's not like the new teacher knew she was teaching a deaf kid, but Charlie didn't like the fact she didn't consider it. His chest must be heavy carrying around a heart of gold.

What was weirder that Tom came in and whispered something to her. It was awkward seeing Miss Wightman turn soft and fluttery in front him, especially when she looked so tense and frustrated just five minutes earlier. What did he say to her? Did they have some sort of a thing?

Never in my sixteen years had Tom taken an interest in anyone or anything besides Grandad and poetry. Not even his own ex-wife when she cheated and left. He was almost fifty, for one thing, but had good genes. She'd barely be pushing twenty-three. 

The idea of it was sorta gross, so I shrugged it off.

Class was going too slow. It's not like I could hear anything, so I wasn't sure why I even bothered to turn up. Actually, that much was obvious. Charlie. But it was no fun sitting in a silent room when I couldn't at least look at him from time to time. I must've been grumbling into my hand because Ikeisha glanced at me and nudged my shoulder with hers.

She mouthed you okay? to which I just nodded. It was frustrating though. Charlie grew bolder and stronger every day, yet here I was struggling to face my own hearing device while wallowing in my own misery. Why was I closing myself off in the silence? Charlie was always being brave for me, and I could be brave for Charlie. But I needed to be brave for myself. 

I needed to be braver.

While Miss Wightman was turned to the board, I pulled out my phone and sent a quick text to Mum.

Can u pls bring h aid

tnx

I looked up to check on the teacher that she hadn't noticed me on it yet when I felt the vibration in my hand. Mum's reply was immediate.

Of course. Be there soon x

Ikeisha leaned over me to see why I was smiling when she flinched and looked up. Already guessing why, I pocketed my phone and looked up to see a less than impressed Miss Wightman standing in front of my desk with her arms crossed. Her lips moved and I could hear the watery sound, but I didn't know what she was saying. Part of me couldn't help but wonder if she was saying the same sort of thing to me as she did to Charlie.