seven

"You're kidding right?"

"I am not. I snorted out a piece of pineapple. I was not expecting her to say that at a professional forum." Nate said and I giggled.

Ever since we've started talking, I don't think I've ever laughed this much. Before it was a chuckle or a little sound when we were texting but now I could actually hear him, I could hear the changes in his tone as he tries to explain funny events.

Nate was funny and he sounded amazing.

We had a lot in common. Music, movies, outing types, favourite thing to do when at home and it made me so happy to click with him. He never pushed for more and neither did I, we only said what we were comfortable enough to share.

Most times though, Nate was always at work. And we always talked at nine at night. It worried me to know he was working himself tired, he needed to take a break. He once let it slip that he often got to work at eight in the morning.

I always wondered why he always worked this hard. He didn't have someone at home, because, if he did then he wouldn't be on a dating site and we wouldn't be talking for how long we do which is literally every day and only a bit of hours pass without responses.

My biggest fear was this...

What if he was married and was cheating on his partner with me? What if I'm the other man? Someone breaking up a family?

"Do you think we could switch to video call sometime?" I asked, out of the blue. It's a bit past lunch time and I had an appointment at three. I could ask him out right if he was married on audio but I wouldn't be able to tell if he was lying, so maybe on video I'd be able to see something I'd miss otherwise.

Honestly though, the reason I wanted us to video chat was because I wanted to see him. I've heard his voice all week and I wanted to put a face to the name and voice. I wasn't expecting anything, I just wanted to see and know who I was talking to.

On the other side of the call, there was a short pause and then Nate speaks up. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah. Maybe we could do it a week from now? Get to know each other a bit more." I said, picking at my sweatpants, trying my best not to be too nervous. Video chat goes both ways though, he'd be able to see me. Was I what he was expecting though? Would I be?

We were both on a dating site and we both know what we want. A relationship.

Although I had Arlen, Key and Jaden, I still felt alone. I wanted to be love and be loved.

"I'd love that." Nate said. "It'd be nice to finally see you, Cil."

"You too."

We talked a bit more. I could hear the sound of fingers tapping on a keyboard as we talked. Once it was two fifteen I made my way to my room. I put the call on speaker while I got ready.

"Why am I hearing shuffling sounds? Do you want me to call you back?"

I pulled off my sweatpants, almost falling onto my ass. "Na, you don't have to. I'm just taking off my clothes."

"Uh..."

My cheeks grew hot and I tried to reach for my phone, legs twisting in my discarded sweatpants and I ended up falling on my front, hands reaching out to break my fall.

"Cil, baby, are you okay?!"

My heart was beating twice as fast and I didn't know if I wanted to squeal or melt into a puddle on the ground. He had heard me fall and on the other hand, Nate had called me baby.