nine

"Cil?"

I got up from my sit before I could think and I dropped back into it.. I turned and stared at Jaden with wide eyes. What were the protocols for this? We weren't supposed to meet this soon. Jaden was stared at me with raised brow. He looked a good combination of worried and amused.

I kept waiting. Waiting. But Nate never comes.

Instead my phone vibrates.

waitwithnate: hey

I raised my phone, not sure what to type. I looked back and Nate shakes his phone at me. He taps at his screen and my phone vibrates again.

waitwithnate: we could say hi or we could meet up later or we can pretend this didn't happen. Your choice, angel

He was right here, he was a mere couple of steps away. The man I had been texting and calling and sending pictures of my food or something funny I find online. He was here and he was giving me an option. He was giving me several options.

But I didn't want the last two. I wanted to say hi to him right.

chillwithcil: let's say hi

Once I sent the text and looked back up at Jaden.

"So you know how I've been talking to a guy?" I started and Jaden nods. "That's him and I.. we're going to say hi."

"Are you serious? It's the smile guy? And who's we? I haven't been dating him with you." Jaden said and I snorted, shaking my head fondly at the boy. What the hell was a smile guy?

"Who's smile guy?"

"Its what Arlen, Key and I, call him. You refused to tell us his name but we do know he makes you smile a lot." Jaden said and I laughed. "Okay, keep smiling like that because your man is coming over here." Jaden said and I stilled, my eyes going wide.

"That wasn't what I said you should do but anyway, I have to use the loo." Jaden said and then he was gone, leaving an empty seat in front of me. I didn't have time to panic when the seat was filled. This man, Nate, had dark hair and a jawline that could cut glass, brown eyes. He had on a navy blue hoodie and dark sweatpants.

"Hi." he said and wow, it's the same voice.

"Hey." I said, playing with my thumbs underneath the table.

"I know this wasn't how it was meant to go but I am so happy to see you." Nate said and he smiles. My breath catches at his smile. How can he look so good?

"I am happy to see you too." I said in response, albeit shyly.

"I was right." Nate said and I stared, question clear as day through my expression.

"You do look beautiful. Like an angel." Nate said and my cheeks heat up, his words startled a laugh out of me. I wasn't expecting that at all.

"You are so cheesy." I said, in-between my laughter.

"But you love it though." Nate said and he sounded so sure of himself. He wasn't wrong though. I loved his cheesy lines and quotes, they always make me laugh and feel special. It felt good to put a face to those lines that make me snort on the bus when I'm on my way to work. It felt good to put a face to the voice that had kept me company for days on end.

"Hi. I'm Nathan Irving but my friends call me Nate." he said, putting out a hand.

I bit back a giggle as I reached out and shook his hand. "Hi, I'm Cillian Cohen."