eight

"You keep talking to your phone. Is it the same guy?"

I looked away from the mirror and towards the direction of my bedroom where Jaden was lying on my bed. Did he know about Nate too? I hadn't told him anything yet because I wanted to be sure about him.

I spat and quickly rinsed out my mouth and brush and placing the back in the holder.

"What guy?"

"The Nate guy." Jaden said, raising his brow at me.

"What Nate guy?" I asked, wondering how he knew.

Jaden sits up on the bed and looks at me. "Did you got your head in the bathroom? I'm talking about the guy Arlen told me you're seeing. I mean, he didn't even have to tell me, you've been singing and skipping around the house, smiling like the cat who got his cream."

Of course it was Arlen! Who else would it have been really?

I wasn't seeing Nate either. Hearing him and texting him, yes but we are so not dating. What he fuck was Arlen thinking?

"Nate is..."

My phone vibrates against the bed side table. Jaden smiled knowingly before turning to grab it for me, gaze on the name that popped up on the screen.

"He is?" Jaden teased and I scrunched you my nose.

"Why do you wanna know about my dating life?" I asked, reaching for the phone. "You don't see me asking about yours."

"That's because mine is practically inexistent. You on the other hand are home with me every Friday night." Jaden said, shaking his head at me and making the same tutting sound. I narrowed my eyes at him and smacked his hand.

"I like staying home with you. You're my kid now." I said, ruffling his hair.

"I don't think that's how it works."

"Well, What I say goes. You're my kid now." I said, smiling softly at Jaden. It's been weeks since he started living here and months now since we first met and we have come a long way.

"To be honest, I'd rather be your little brother."

"Of course! What else would you be? My uncle?"

"You're not funny. We keep telling you, you're not funny." Jaden said, pulling a face at me. I could clearly see the fond in his eyes and the way he leaned more into my head pats.

"Keep lying to yourself." I said, giving him one last pat before getting up from the bed. "Let's go and make breakfast?"

"Can't we eat out?" Jaden asked. "I wanna eat with you and not worry about the dishes." Jaden juts out his bottom lip and looked at me with big brown eyes, his bed hair somehow intensifying THR puppy look. Oh wow. He must have been lethal as a toddler.

"Fine but you're going to eat the salad I make for you in the afternoon."

"Oh my god, Cil. It's just leaves in there and then you squirt lemon juice all over it and just no." Jaden whines. "I'll sing for you."

"Please don't. I've heard your shower concerts." I said, laughing at the horrified look on his face. What? He was loud and apparently liked Cher. It wasn't intensional, I just forgot to lock my door that day and the music drifted in.

"Psh, you lie! I sound like a beautiful humming bird."

I giggled at that. "Whatever you say, baby bird. Go and get ready." I said, nudging him towards the door. Once Jaden was gone, I quickly took a shower and pulled on some clothes, a cream jumper with the sleeve covering the majority of my palm, a pair of jeans and sneakers. I brushed my hair, letting my fringe fall onto my face.