Day 5

"Hurry up! We don't have much time. We need to get going before he catches us."
"Can't you see I am hurt. I am unable to walk properly. "
"Do you want me to pick you up?"
"I....uh....no....I mean...."

"Get up, Candy. Get up..."

Seriously? Seriously? You had to wake me up just before that guy in my dream was about to pick me up? Uhhhh... Why Poppy?
My anger for Poppy was constant but I also thought upon my dream. I had read somewhere that our dream cannot nake up faces on its own, so, I must have seen that guy somewhere or sometime in reality.

I didn't get much time to think more. I was already running late. I stuffed the toast and milk in my mouth quickly, took my bicycle and was off to school.

Even during the classes I was thinking about my dream. This caused a bit of trouble for me. Mrs. Pieterse was teaching Science and I wasn't paying any attention at all.
"Yes, Candice. I see you are quite busy in your own world. Come on. Answer this question." asked Mrs. Pieterse.
"Ummm... I am sorry, Mrs. Pieterse, I wasn't paying attention." I had to tell her the truth as I knew lying wouldn't be helpful.
"Why exactly weren't you paying attention, Candice?"
"I, uh, actually... have a headache since early morning."
"Do you want me to call your parents and take you back home?"
"N-n-no. I don't think that w-w-would be necessary."
"Okay. Then sit down and pay attention this time."
"Yes. This mistake won't be repeated."

I was really embarrassed because it has never happened that a teacher scolded me for not paying attention. I threw my dream out of my mind for a while.

While I was returning back home, I saw something terrible. I found a cat who was bleeding. I was shocked upon seeing that there were 7 people standing near the wounded cat but no one came forward to help her. I rushed immediately to her help. I couldn't even understand if she was alive. I was really sad and was frantically looking for a vetenary hospital.
"Excuse me, sir, is there any vet nearby?"
"I think the nearby vet is almost a mile away."
"Okay. Thank you for your help."

I took a cab and reached the vetenary hospital.
"Please, help this poor little cat. She's bleeding profusely. I need to see the doc immediately. " said I, as I was seeking help.
A lady then came and held the cat slowly and with care.
"Miss, your cat is taken care of. You have fill these details and submit the form in the reception."
As I saw the form, the first criteria that was to be filled out was name of the pet. I did not own the cat and so was unable to state her name.
"How about Jessie? No, Patrice's cat's name is Jessie. Umm... what about Angela? No, she is Tom's girlfriend. Ahaaa..."
I then finally came up with a name. I found the cat beside a Skittles shop, and so, decided to name her as 'Skittles'. I also filled the rest of the details quickly.
"Ms. Candice Turner, your presence is asked in the Doctor's chamber. " A middle aged lady said.
"Yes. I am on my way."

I headed towards the doc's chamber. The door was closed so I knocked.
"Yeah, come in."
"I am Candice Turner. What happened to the cat, doctor?" I asked.
"Oh, your cat. She is... absolutely fine."
"Thank God!"
I took a breath of relief as I heard those words.
"But..."
"But what?"
"You can consider it a miracle, Ms. Turner. Your cat, umm... Skittles, she is really blessed. Normally, in a case like this, we don't have positive results, if you know what I mean."
"Oh, okay. So, can I take her home with me?"
"Yes, sure. A few medicines and a lot fish is gonna make your cat fit as ever. "
"Yeah...."
"Has she ever been sick?"
"Are you asking about Skittles?"
"Well, yes."
"Oh, umm.... see the thing is... actually... uhhh... she is not exactly MY cat."
"What do you mean?"
"I actually found her on the street. She is probably a stray cat, poor Skittles."
"You were so worried about a stray cat? Oh my God! You are amazing, Ms. Turner. I can't believe it."
"Thank you, doctor. I actually love animals, and especially cats. I just couldn't get over this fact that people leave these beautiful creation to be killed on the street. I brought Skittles here because I didn't want her to suffer."
"That's an extremely wonderful thought. Oh, I almost forgot. You can take Skittles to your home now. Introduce her to her new abode."
"Definitely."

I went to the same lady and gently lifted Skittles up in my arms. I could see innocence in her glass like green coloured eyes. It felt like if someone inserted a few words in her mouth, she would thank me wholeheartedly. I tenderly caressed her soft greyish black, fur covered skin. She felt ultimate comfort and warmth in my arms.

Upon reaching home, I quietly placed Skittles in a basket, under my bed. I took some old clothes and folded them so that she would be comfortable. I considered to keep this as a secret and then I would surprise everyone.

"Candy..." My heart nearly stopped as I heard from Mum.
"Y-yeah. W-w-what are you doing here?"
"You don't have to act like you don't know anything. I am aware of your deeds."

I was a bit shocked as I didn't tell Poppy about Skittles. But, somehow, Mum knew. And I decided to tell her the truth.

"Yeah, about that. But, before you say anything, hear me out first, okay?"
"What am I supposed to hear, Candy? I can't believe that you didn't tell me about it. What has been going on with you lately, huh? Why were you not paying attention while Mrs. Pieterse was teaching?"
"Wait, what? How did you know about this?"

It felt like she suddenly bursted out my bubble of happiness with a sharp nail. I thought she was going to praise me for helping a cat, but no. She somehow knew about me not paying attention during class.

"Oh, so did you honestly think that I was not gonna know about it? Candy, I have never received a call from your school because of some mischief you did. Mrs. Pieterse was also telling that your behaviour has changed a lot. You were not like this in 9th grade. What has happened to you? Candy, reply honestly. Is there something going on between Shawn and you? Is that the reason why you can't focus on studies?"
I was left speechless upon hearing this. Shawn and I? Like, french fries and choco dip together? What the heck, Mum?
"Mum, what are talking about? You know I would never do this. Why do you..."
"Listen, Candy, enough already okay? I don't want to hear anything. You better start studying now. I DON'T WANT YOU TO BE OUT OF YOUR ROOM UNTIL I CALL. You hear me?"
"F-f-fine"

Mum left the room, loudly shutting the door. My eyes were filled with tears and I could feel anger in those tears. Mum did not even care to listen to me once. I thought she was going to praise me because of what I did that day, but she got on a whole different topic and she just made me so disappointed.

I was not that type of a girl who cries for everything that happens to her, at least not in front of everyone. I went into the bathroom, turned on the tap, and, well of course started crying. I cried in such a manner that only tears dropped from my eyes, no shouting, no breaking things, etc. and honestly, that was enough to make me sad. The teardrops were filled with anger, sadness, and all the grief in the world.
After 10 minutes of crying, I washed my face, waited for some time for my face to be normal, put on a fake smile and came out.

In situations like these, Poppy didn't utter a word 'cause she just knew that if she opened her mouth, it would just make me sadder. So, she sat there doing some work and did not say anything.

We did homework, studied the whole time and slept. My life was just hell. HELL.

"It is better to be alone than be surrounded by negative people. They just suffocate you. And you die."

- Life Lesson No. 5