Give Me Novacain

Take away the sensation inside

Bitter sweet migraine in my head

It’s like a throbbing tooth ache of the mind

I can’t take this feeling anymore

Green Day – Give Me Novacaine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She could see them out of the corners of her eyes. Dresses in all their wedding finery, Kyle swept his hands over his beautiful bride’s face, sweeping away a strand of hair that had fallen into her sapphire blue eyes. She felt the bubble of rage inside her grow as she watched Lariza’s eyes twinkle with love at her new husband.

Geviana Clarke touched the bubbling flute of champagne to her lips, enjoying the burning sensation as the liquid swept past her tongue and down her slender throat. She swallowed the contents of the glass in one sweep, ignoring the blatant glares from the other guests. They didn’t bother trying to lower their voices.

“I can’t believe she’s here. Honestly, why did she come?” a female voice asked.

“I heard Kyle invited her, but you know Kyle, he’s so nice. He probably did it out of pity,” another woman answered.

“Really? I mean, what kind of person would accept the invitation? She’s got no dignity whatsoever. She needs to get over it,” someone else criticized.

Geviana suppressed a bitter laugh at the group of women who stood not too far away from her. The women who she once considered to be her friends were now only petty, gossiping girls who hadn’t hesitate to turn on her when she needed friendship the most. Geviana, herself, wasn’t too sure why she had decided to come. She just knew that she had to see it for herself, and she just had to torture herself.

Kyle looked…good. Too good. His tux set off his dark features perfectly. From his neatly groomed short black hair to his chiseled jawline and dusky gray eyes, he was the very epitome of tall, dark, and handsome. Lariza looked beautiful, her glowing golden blond hair was swept up into a neat chignon, and her bright, blue eyes were surrounded with shadows of gold and black. They looked absolutely perfect with one another, dancing in each other’s arms to their first dance.

Kyle used to be hers.

When the creamy, beige envelope had arrived at Geviana’s apartment, the expected but startling news that her ex-fiancée and former best friend were marrying almost killed her.

Geviana’s eyes burned at the reminder of that awful day. The day that she was jilted had betrayed by the two formerly most important people in her life.

It was Geviana’s wedding day.

Geviana should have been the one married to Kyle. They were in love first. That was only fair. Kyle was Geviana’s fiancée first, and Lariza was Geviana’s best friend. When Kyle proposed, Geviana was the happiest woman in the world. Wedding plans were made. Geviana even flew in her best friend Lariza from back home so that she could be the maid of honor. There was no way Geviana could know that introducing Lariza and Kyle would be a moment she would regret for the rest of her life.

On the big day, Geviana still had no clue to the unspoken chemistry between the two. The secret smiles and longing looks they sent one another when they thought no one was looking. It wasn’t until she was at the church, beautifully dressed in her wedding gown, desperately trying to contact her maid of honor that she realized what was wrong. Kyle had jilted her. He left her at the altar. He never came and neither did Lariza.