10

"You take her up, I'll bring the bags," Jase said when they got back to Madison's flat.

"Thanks," she replied, unstrapping Mia and lifting her from the car seat. Jase opened the boot, took the five bags of shopping he'd insisted on paying for, and followed her up the fire escape stairs to her front door. The inside looked nothing like he'd expected. It certainly didn't look like a child lived there. Madison kept the place neat and tidy, the interior design light with mostly greys and whites, similar to his own place except for a few mint green embellishments like her kettle and sofa cushions.

He placed the bags on the kitchen counter as Madison took Mia's shoes off, letting her loose down the hallway, into her bedroom.

"Thank you for today," Madison said, unloading the shopping and putting it away. Jase helped, putting fresh fruit and veg in the fridge. The energy between them was still sitting slightly off its axis. Being in Madison's presence in such a normal scenario was surreal. He'd played through this type of thing so many times in his head that he was half convinced she wasn't a figment of his imagination.

"Don't mention it."

Once they cleared the bags, she flicked the kettle on and took two mint green mugs from the cupboard.

"Do you know when my car will be ready?" she asked, spooning coffee from a jar the same colour.

"Not for about a week, but I'm available if you need to go somewhere in the meantime," he said. Madison passed him a mug. She wasn't sure she wanted to be in his company more than necessary but getting a taxi home from work every night would start to burn a hole in her already thin pocket.

"I have work on Monday. I don't usually finish until about one in the morning, is that too late for a lift home?" Jase followed her into the living room, she placed coasters on the coffee table and put her drink down.

"You work at Olivers Bar, right?" She confirmed with a hum.

"I'm assuming you got that information from your two friends?" Jase smiled and she pursed her lips. "I wonder where they got it." He shrugged, leaning forward and putting his coffee on the second coaster.

"It could be anyone. They said they went into the club, but only after being told you worked there." Madison knew she'd seen their faces. The knowledge that anyone could be frequenting the bar to watch her made her itch. "A lot of people had a lot to say after you left," Jase added unhelpfully. She hated not knowing who she could trust or who was keeping tabs on her. He picked up on her discomfort and tried to reassure her. "Look at the bright side, we have a name."

Madison scoffed.

"A name no one has heard of, willing to put money on my head. Whoever it is, it's personal and they know more than we care to admit because something tells me that being dragged back to that house wasn't a coincidence."  It was too much of a coincidence to be a coincidence.

How many houses were there like that in London? She knew of at least one, they had attended a 'Showing'. One of the girls had tried to convince Madison to submit to her situation. She shuddered at the memory. There had to be more that fell under the radar.

"You think this Caspar guy wants me involved?" Jase asked.

"We can't rule it out," Madison replied. It made more sense that Madison and Jase had been intentionally pushed together than it happening by chance. Mia ran in, interrupting the conversation.

"Look," she ordered, climbing up on the sofa between them and handing Jase a teddy with "press me" buttons on its paws and chest. She pressed one of them and the bear came to life, talking excitedly and counting to five. Jase feigned amazement.

"Wow, what does this button do?" He pressed the button on the chest and the bear began reciting the alphabet. Mia grinned up at him, ecstatic to have someone new to show her toys.

Madison tilted her head, watching the exchange. It was an odd thing to witness, the same man that had killed people and held her captive was now sitting with her child, playing with a talking teddy. Yet she wasn't surprised, she knew more than most how tender and gentle he could be. There were many sides to Jase only she was privy to.

Mia climbed down, pressing the bears chest repeatedly as Jase and Madison watched, drinking their drinks and making enthusiastic comments and pantomime displays of fascination every time the bear spoke.

"You'd make a good dad," Madison said quietly when Mia toddled back off to her bedroom. Jase breathed a small laugh, scrunching his nose up at the notion.

"Kids don't exactly fit into my lifestyle. I'm hardly the safest guy to start a family with."

"Straighter than you used to be," she replied, standing up and taking the empty mugs into the kitchen. Jase's phone buzzed in his pocket. "Do you want another one?" Madison called, already flicking the kettle on.

Sam's name lit up the screen with a text. They'd found a bug in Madison's car. Whoever was keeping tabs on her was closer than they thought. Close enough to have access to her car. The bubble of enchantment brought on by the child's delighted innocence burst around him.

"Nah, I've got to make a move. Give me a bell on Monday, let me know what time you want picking up." He was already putting his jacket on as he replied.

"Everything okay?" she asked, Jase was looking at his phone, letting Sam know he'd be there soon.

"Yeah, Sam just needs me for something." Madison didn't request more information, accepting his answer at face value, assuming it had something to do with the house.

"Okay, well thanks again." He assured her it was no problem and reached for the front door when he stopped, turning.

"Mads, don't trust anyone," he said, feeling both stupid and better for it. Madison smiled, one brow raised.

"Do you take me for an idiot?"

Jase hummed. She was no idiot but that didn't mean people didn't, or wouldn't, slip through the cracks.

"No, but someone else might. You need to put that mindset you had in the house back into action." There were questions on her tongue but she knew she'd get the answers in due time. Whatever was causing him to rush off, should it have something to do with her, would be addressed eventually. For now, she let him do his thing and work on a need-to-know basis.

Five minutes after he'd left, Mia came back out of her room.

"Where Jase?" she asked, looking up at Madison with her big brown eyes.

"He's gone, baby. You'll see him again soon." Mia pouted, looking at the front door as if he would return any minute.