Chapter 20: Misunderstandings

Previously:

Could you call me by my first name, Uzui-san? Hakumei is quite formal and since you suggested being friends too...

Well, that was sort of adorable, how shy the boy was about that. The Sound pillar would have never expected someone so serious to feel like a surname is too formal. But he didn't mind at all, he was starting to like the guy and wasn't one for formalities either.

"Sure. Then you at least drop the honorific. Let's get along flamboyantly, Ren!"

(Y/N) felt bad for lying to Uzui about her reasons for covering her face but she couldn't reveal herself. But then was this even real? If they became friends and he learned the truth about her identity at some point, would he hate her? After all, this whole friendship would have been with a person that never even existed. It was all a lie. This wasn't what she imagined her life away from the mountain to be like. She thought she might gain friendships that would be genuine and pure... But how could they, when she was lying about so many things? Her name, gender, background... all of it was fake. She tried to keep as many facts as she could but it wasn't much. Was she really doing the right thing?

No, she couldn't think like that. After all, she knew the truth. She was a horrible person and everyone would probably hate her for her lies, but she wasn't doing this so she could get something out of it. She was here because she had a purpose bigger than her own measly life. She has just returned from her home after all, the reminder of her promise, the only place where she could let her voice free. She sung the song of the witch all the time during that visit, only to discover her voice growing hoarse after just a few verses. Oh, how everything has changed.

Yes, she was allowed to travel there and her first leave was right after sorting things out with Ubuyashiki. They made a deal that she would go check on her home every three months and come back in about three weeks every time. Actually, the head of Demon Slayers was a really nice man and didn't ask too much of her. She felt bad for him, the illness was slowly overtaking his body and even so young, he didn't have much time left. Maybe if she revealed herself to the Slayers one day, she would use her knowlege to save him. Then again, she has never heard of a condition quite like his.

After Uzui bid her goodbye, she turned to collect her belongins and leave but she froze at the sight of Shinobu standing over her swords and satchel.

"Could I talk to you for a moment, Hakumei-san?" she smiled sweetly.

She nodded slowly. Was she suspicious of her? She had no idea.

***

Shinobu wasn't really sure how to ask Hakumei about the sword since she didn't want to reveal her witch friend in case he didn't know about her. Hell, she kept the girl's connection to Muzan and the blue spider lilies from the rest of the hashiras and even Oyakata-sama himself. She wasn't going to blabber about it to a man she still didn't fully trust. There were just too many questions about him being left unanswered.

"Tell me, Hakumei-san, where did you get your katana? I couldn't help but notice that it isn't a color changing blade."

He looked down and pulled out a slightly crumped piece of paper.

There is no money in killing demons outside of the Slayer corps. I make swords and sell them for a living... I forged the one I use as well. But, pray tell me, Uzui-san, is there a reason for you to be so interested in me?

He checked the text and covered the last sentence before looking back at Shinobu, waiting for a reaction.

"Oh, I see... So I suppose someone in your family taught you how to make it."