Chapter 14 - Reunited

I lock up at the end of the day and anxiously head to Momma's house to pick up Scarlett. She runs to greet me in the driveway as I get out of the car. I pick her up and carry her inside. "Hey, sweet girl. Were you good for Mimi?" I ask.

She nods. "Uh-huh."

I kiss her on the top of her head. "Good," I reply as I walk through the doors.

Momma is sitting on the sofa watching television. "Hey, Momma," I call out.

"Hey, baby. Did you have a good day?" she asks.

"Yep, it was fine," I reply as I sit down with Scarlett on my lap.

"I meant to ask you, when is Mitch returning from his work trip?"

"I have no clue. I haven't talked to him in a week or more."

She sighs audibly, "You guys are so strange. Are you sure you are dating?"

"Well yeah, unless I didn't get the memo," I tell her jokingly.

She shakes her head, "Will he be here for the cookout this weekend?"

"Maybe. I don't know. If I hear anything, I'll let you know."

She shrugs and continues to watch television.

"Guess who came to town?" I ask.

She smiles. "I know Brie called me. Did you see him?"

"Yep, he stopped by my office this afternoon. He looks great. He's going to come over to my place tonight to hang out. I figured I'd have Scarlett meet him. We can hang out like old times, hopefully until he goes home."

"Sounds like fun. Call me later and let me know how it goes. I'd like to see him before he goes home."

I'm sure she's going to find out about everything very soon. I doubt John Luke will allow me to carry on this lie about Scarlett anymore. I'm kind of relieved now, to be honest. We can at least face it together. I'm super pissed about the letters, and I want to confront Daddy about it. I know Momma would never do that to me. He's going to get an earful from me when I see him.

After I stay a few minutes, I say goodbye to Momma and head back to my apartment with Scarlett.

When I open the door to my apartment, I sit Scarlett down on the sofa and turn on the television. "Alright, baby, watch cartoons while Momma gets in the shower."

She nods. "Okay, Momma."

I head to the bedroom to jump in the shower; I wash up and shave all the goods. When I get out, I pick out a pair of cut off jean shorts and a multicolored tube top, and a loose light grey tank to go over it. I lotion up my legs and arms, fix my hair, and put some makeup on. I add some jewelry and spray a little bit of perfume. Then I walk back into the living room, slip on my strappy sandals, and wait for John Luke to show up.

About fifteen minutes later, my doorbell rings. Scarlett jumps up and rushes to the door, "Hang on, baby, let Momma open the door."

She stops and stands at my side as I open the door. My stomach has butterflies; I'm so anxious for John Luke to meet Scarlett for the first time. I open the door, and there he is, looking fine as fuck and smiling. I can feel the blood rush to my head as I open the door. "Hey."

"Hey." He responds as his eyes scan the length of my body.

I grab Scarlett, put my arms around her, and pat her belly. "Hey baby, I have someone I'd like you to meet." She looks up at me and smiles. "Come in, John Luke. Make yourself comfortable." I tell him as I motion for him to enter.