Chapter 33 - Engagement Announcement

We stand at the doorway and greet all of the guests as they start to pile in the house. There's a table lined up outside in the back with food and treats; they hired staff to wait on the guests.

I feel uncomfortable and out of place. Mitch can sense how painful this is for me, so he wraps his arm around my waist and whispers in my ear. "It's okay, relax. You look so beautiful tonight. Don't you worry about a thing. I got this covered."

I force a smile and walk over to the food and start digging in. Mitch comes up behind me, putting his hand on my hip. "Just don't fidget and don't stuff your face in front of all these people." He directs.

"God, Mitch, I'm starving! I can't help it. Why does it matter anyway?" I ask with a mouthful of food.

He chuckles. "You can eat whatever you want when they leave. They are going to think you are pregnant. Slow down."

I roll my eyes. "Whatever you say. Just because a female has an appetite doesn't mean she is pregnant! Ugh! Rich people!"

I walk away from the food to accompany Mitch as he socializes with the guests.

Finally, his father stands at the top of the steps and speaks into a microphone. "Excuse me, Ladies and Gentlemen, I would like to thank you all for being here for this special occasion."

I notice guests are snapping photos as we stand around and wait for him to continue. "I'm going to step down and let my son Mitchell come up and speak now," He says as he waves Mitch up to the microphone.

Mitch smiles and approaches the microphone. People are clapping and cheering. "Friends, family, and guests. I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart for being here this evening. It is indeed a special occasion. This lovely woman who I have introduced as my girlfriend is the reason for my announcement. Georgia darling, would you please come up here for a moment?" Mitch asks as he waves me up there.

My stomach is in knots. I feel like I'm going to pass out. I gracefully walk up to the microphone with a forced smile on my face. The guests cheer as I approach. "Everyone, I would like to let you all know that I asked this lovely lady to be my wife recently, and she said yes!"

The guests cheer as I'm blinded by all of the flashes of light from the cameras in the audience. Mitch pulls me in for a kiss on the cheek. I feel very awkward and uncomfortable, and he senses it. He whispers in my ear. "Relax, Georgia."

"I'm sorry, I don't like to be the center of attention," I whisper back.

Lester comes back up to the microphone, clapping. "Alright, everyone, they have set a date for next month. We will send out invites very soon. It will be the event of the year." Lester says.

I look at Mitch in shock. "Next month?"

He shrugs. "We are at his mercy."

"No, shit! What an ass!" I cry out as I sneer at Lester.

"Calm down. It will be okay." Mitch whispers in my ear as he pulls me closer to him. I roll my eyes and flash the crowd a fake smile.

The last of the guests leave a few hours later, and I'm exhausted. My feet are killing me in these heels. I sure could use a foot rub; too bad John Luke isn't here. I know he'd be more than happy to indulge me. God, I miss him terribly. I hope I don't lose him after all this is over.

Everyone starts to retire to their rooms for the night, and I head to the kitchen to raid the refrigerator. Mitch strolls in and sits down with me. "Are you hungry?"

"No, I can see you are." He says jokingly.

"Ugh, pretty soon, you are going to be saying I'm fat."

"No, I won't because you aren't. I have just noticed a huge jump in your appetite." He says.