Epilogue of the Epilogue

The Silver Phantom gazed after the hunter as she climbed up to a village. She had left him on a beach, the sand littered with black stones and chunks of ice. She had said goodbye, and it had sounded final. She had told him to fly free... What even was freedom now? He could barely remember. He had been with her for so long, so very many years, that the life he'd had before was a faded dream. Had he had friends? Family? What had happened? 

    He turned his gaze toward the sky, which was for once clear with a few scudding clouds speeding on their way. That was... Freedom. The whole sky was his now. No one to tell him what to do, where to go. He could go anywhere in the whole world.

    The dragon spread his red and white wings, letting the breeze catch them. It whistled through the holes in the membrane; a music that had accompanied every venture. Now it would be a theme to a new chapter.

    With a grin he beat his wings down, then up, and down again. The isle of Berk raced away from him, the beach, the village, the whole island fading to a dot far below. Was this what freedom felt like? Joy, power, thrilling?

    There were new lands to discover. He would discover them all.