Chapter Seven

A ceiling could be extraordinarily interesting, you decided. The swirls of the grain and knots were like your thoughts, chaotic and whirling. Even in your dreams you had not had much rest, the avatar of the hunter coming after you every time you closed your eyes. Why did you know her? She must have had some involvement in your childhood, but you couldn't find a memory of what. 
    You had stayed in the Chief's hut most of the morning before wandering into the forest. The crowds had been too much for you to face so you had used the back door, sneaking away like a smug Terrible Terror with a prized fish. Of course, there were a few Vikings who had seen you and waved cheerily. You had waved back halfheartedly, not in the mood for social interactions. Your feet had taken you to the cove, the place Hiccup had first befriended the Night Fury. It was peaceful there, so quiet, with only the twittering of the birds and the occasional roar of a dragon in the distance. This was the place you came to when you wanted to be alone. 
    You had stayed there until the sky began to darken. Surprised at how quickly the time had passed, you'd headed back to the village of Berk and made your way to your house, a small wooden hut tucked away in a corner. Once there you had eaten just about all the dried meat you had and fallen asleep with your boots on. Dreams had haunted you, nightmares, even. You had woken several times during the night with your skin slick with sweat. 
    It was early morning now, the sunlight seeping in through the window. Everything it touched had a golden glow, very much opposing your strange mood. You couldn't tell what you were feeling, not truly. Everything was too jumbled. Curiosity, anxiety, nervousness, thirst for knowledge, it was all there, among other feelings you couldn't decipher. 
    A knock at the door startled you. A quick thumping, loud enough to wake a sleeping Hotburple. You sighed and swung your feet to the wooden floor, wincing at the pain in your back and noticing the boots you had forgotten to take off. It was too early for most visitors, and you wondered who in Thor's name it could be as you walked to the door. Root, perhaps, playing a prank on everyone?
    You yawned and opened the door, quickly putting your hand over your mouth when you realised it was rude. Before you stood the Chief, his forest green eyes wide. He waved a scrap of parchment at you and you followed it with your gaze, trying to discern what it was, before snatching it from him. In smudged charcoal large, scratchy words were written, saying, “BRING THE YOUNG DRAGONBLOOD AND I WILL GIVE YOU THE OLD HAG IN EXCHANGE.”
    You looked at the message, then at Hiccup. The young Dragonblood must have been you, you had been called that enough times yesterday. The hag? Gothi, it had to be. Who else could be described as such?
    You flung the paper at Hiccup and rushed to the kitchenish area of your hut, grabbing your satchel from the back of a chair. You stuffed half a loaf of bread into it, along with a waterskin and your notebook.  With the bag slung over your shoulder you jogged back to the door, finding Hiccup blocking the way. 
    ‘Nope,’ he said, standing firmly. ‘You're staying here.’
    ‘Oh, come on,’ you said, trying to push past. For such a skinny Viking, he was quite strong. ‘You showed me the message, did you really think I'd stay put?'
    Hiccup smiled wryly. ‘Not really, but I hoped. I just wanted to let you know that she knows where we are.’
    You stopped tugging at the Chief's arm, which he had stretched across the doorway. You hadn't thought of anything like that. That the hunters could find you on Berk, possibly even attack you. Your home no longer felt safe. 
    ‘I'm still coming,’ you said. 
    Hiccup didn't move from his barring position. ‘No. Stay here, out of immediate danger.’
    You stepped back and looked him in the eyes. ‘I'm coming, even if that means Shifting in public and flying after you.’
    ‘You're serious, aren't you?’
    You nodded. 
    Hiccup sighed and stood back. ‘Just... Stay out of trouble, please?’
    You gave him a grin that did nothing to encourage what he'd said.

***

Dark Deep. That was where you headed. It had been stated at the bottom of the note to meet at Dark Deep on a beach, which was helpful when there were many beaches. You, Hiccup and Toothless left the Isle of Berk before most Vikings were stirring, yet again leaving Valka, Gobber and Astrid in charge. It was a long flight to get there, around five hours, was your estimate. To pass the long hours Hiccup coached you on how to Shift, telling you as much as he knew. It was more a mental thing, you found, rather than physical. Thoughts had power, they could change you if you let them. And you did. It took a while, and a lot of concentration, but eventually you willed yourself to hybrid form. The tingle that signified Shifting had lessened now, your body becoming used to this strangeness. Within an hour you could Shift between hybrid and human without too much difficulty. 
    You wanted to try flying in hybrid form, but both Hiccup and the Night Fury warned you not to. Your wings would still be weak. You argued that you may need to be able to fly in this form, especially if you couldn't in dragon form, as a twinge in your back reminded you. Without much of a good comeback, they relented. 
    Toothless flew as steadily as he could and you crouched on his back, looking down at the waves far, far below. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea... Before more treacherous thoughts could enter your mind you spread your wings, almost whacking Hiccup, and sprang off. You yelled and windmilled your arms, forgetting you had wings until they caught the air. You tried to level out and found yourself gliding, but still going down. 
    ‘Flap!’ Hiccup called from above. ‘And angle your wings up a little!’
    You did as he said, putting beforehand practice into action. You dipped lower at first, your heart skipping. What if you couldn't fly yet? What if your wings couldn't hold you up like the Chief had said? With more vigour you flapped, muscles straining, and saw the Night Fury getting closer. You thought they'd come down to help you, but then you noticed Hiccup grinning and giving you a thumbs up. You looked to the sea below and, to your astonishment, you were higher. You could fly!