Chapter Four

Thought I'd posted this ages ago. Sorry.

Suddenly wide awake, you sprang up, forgetting you were a dragon and immediately tripping over your own claws. You hit the ground with a thud much like the sound the arrow had made. It was lucky you had fallen over, for another arrow whizzed only a foot above your head and buried itself into the ashes of the fire. You heard a Fury blast followed by a small shriek, and turned to see a stocky hunter sprawled face down on the ground, a crossbow his side. 
    ‘Run!' Hiccup yelled, taking to the air. Toothless called to you and ran into the forest, his red tail fin waving like a beckoning flag. You sprinted after him as best you could, your legs untrustworthy on the uneven ground. The shouts of hunters resounded behind you, incoherent and angry. Toothless kept looking back at you, urging you faster; but you could not run any faster, you were still getting used to this reptilian form of yours. 
    Above you came blasts that echoed through the dawn. Evidently Hiccup was trying to knock the hunters out. Their pounding footsteps still came, though, so he couldn't have succeeded. 
    An arrow thwacked into a tree ahead of you, its shaft vibrating from the force with which it was fired. You swerved to the right while Toothless leapt left, vanishing into the twilight. Despite yourself, panic rose; this was just like when you had been hunted before, running through the forest with hunters tracking you down. Except this time you didn't know the geology of the land and your body refused to cooperate. 
    You heard a flap of wings and a net thumped to the ground beside you, missing you by a hand's width. You leapt away from it and into some bushes, shutting your eyes against the sharp twigs that lashed your face. You opened them again in time to see you were headed right for a trap, one of those that snaps shut like a Red Death's jaws on unsuspecting dragons. You spread your wings just a little and managed to glide over it, fear not even having time to take hold. You landed on the other side of the trap and stumbled away, but not before and arrow whistled down and hit the trap, springing it on your tail.