Chapter Eighty-Nine

The ride back to King's Cross from Hogsmeade Station was a lot less exciting than the train ride at the beginning of the school year. The compartments were a lot quieter, the overall mood more exhausted from the year's events. While some students were happy to be going home for the summer holidays, others were not.

Olive, for one, had mixed feelings.

Part of her realized that this would be her last time riding the Hogwarts Express back to London. Next year, when she would be graduating with the other students in her year, they would take a different, more memorable way home.

"I just realized." Olive whispered, turning to look over at Nat, "We have one more year left."

Nat glanced her way, seeming to mull over the fact that the raven-haired girl brought to light. She shuffled the letters in her hand, scrunching her eyebrows together.

"Honestly," Nat sighed, "I can't wait."

"Really?" Ollie looked down at her lap, playing with the hem of her t-shirt, "I thought you'd never want to leave."

The blonde smiled at the thought. At the end of her first year at Hogwarts she had asked Professor Flitwick if she could stay over the summer holidays as well. She had been in absolute awe over everything concerning magic after having been in the dark about it her entire life.

"With everything going on now, with Hogwarts and the Ministry, I'm not sure anymore." Nat shrugged, "Nothing really seems clear anymore."

Her eyes fell on Cho, who was huddled in the corner of the compartment with her jumper pulled over her as a blanket. The fifth year had been unusually quiet ever since Olive woke everyone up screaming in the middle of the night.

Olive bit her lip, "That's... true."

Her mind went to Cedric, who was somewhere out in the world alive and breathing. He was probably traveling somewhere far away, with parents in tow, keeping their heads low so no one would spot them. She almost smiled at the thought, but then remembered that in the eyes of the public, Cedric was supposed to remain dead. Olive had to remember to keep that a secret.

Natalie quickly went back to her letters and notes from Marjorie, assuming a rather forlorn look. She had been tip-toeing around Olive ever since the other night. From what she knew, Olive simply had a nervous breakdown caused by the grief of losing her cousin. Now that the raven-haired girl appeared to be fine, she was still nervous that any conversation around the subject would cause her to act out again.

Olive noticed Nat's reservations towards her, clearing her throat as she stood. Awkwardly, she grabbed her jumper and her bag, sliding her arms through the sweater as she headed towards the compartment door.

"I'm going to see what George is up to." She said quietly, offering the blonde a small smile before exiting the compartment.

She hated how awkward things had become, but Ollie knew it was for a good reason. If she told Nat and Cho that she was suddenly not as upset over Cedric's death as she had been because he was alive, she risked putting his life and hers in danger. As much as Ollie wished she could tell them, especially Cho, she knew it was the right thing to do by keeping it a secret, even if that meant things might be awkward between the three of them for a while.

Besides, one day the four of them might all be reunited.

Passing politely by a group of third years, Olive quickly tried to find George's compartment. She had originally planned to ride back with Nat and Cho like she did every year, but she couldn't exactly stand the awkwardness.

Besides, George was her boyfriend. She wanted to spend more time with him, especially since she wasn't sure how many times she'd be able to see him over the summer.