Chapter Forty-Four

The start of term feast was more exciting than usual. All of the students, except for the first years, knew that something was up. Everyone had heard about something big happening at Hogwarts this year, but no one exactly knew what.

"Cedric heard his father talking to someone at the Ministry about visitors coming in a few weeks." Cho explained, "To our school."

Olive silently listened on, scrapping the last of her potatoes onto her fork as she shared a glance with Natalie. The blond had not heard anything about the events that would be happening at their school in the coming months, because her family generally stayed as far away from the Wizarding World as they could get.

"Sounds exciting." Natalie beamed, "What do you think it is?"

"Well, I heard Malfoy boasting about already knowing what it is on the train." Cho continued, which earned an eye roll from Olive as the younger Slytherin boy was brought up, "I didn't hear much, except that a lot of arrangements had to be made, and that the Ministry will be coming too."

Ollie shrugged, "It could be a number of things."

"Whatever it is, I want to know soon." Natalie shrugged, "And I think everyone else here is bursting with anticipation."

Taking a look around the Great Hall, Olive took note of everyone's excitement. Students were huddled in groups at their tables talking with hushed excitement about what this surprise could be. The professors looked on with amusement, having known for some time already.

Ollie too wanted to know what this surprise was. She remembered this morning that Sirius mentioned something about wanting whatever was happening to be reinstated sooner, but there are a number of things that it could be.

Then, the man who would be making the announcement himself, got up and stood at the front of the Great Hall, a pleasant smile on his face as he listened to the students' conversations.

"So!" Dumbledore began, his amplified voice causing the whole student body to immediately be quiet. All looked at the Headmaster intently, waiting for what they wanted to hear, "Now that we are all fed and watered, I must once more ask for your attention while I give out a few notices."

"Of course he's going to wait until the last second to tell us." Natalie shook her head, whispering into Olive's ear.

"Mr Filch, the caretaker, has asked me to tell you that the list of objects forbidden inside the castle has this year been extended to include Screaming yo-yo's, Fanged Frisbees and Ever Bashing Boomerangs. The full list comprises of some four hundred and thirty-seven items, I believe, and can be viewed in Mr Filch's office, if anybody would like to check it." Dumbledore went on, casting a knowing look in the direction of the Gryffindor table.

Olive looked across the Great Hall at the Gryffindor table, where she saw the twins exchange a high five under the table. The Ravenclaw sighed, shaking her head to herself. Even though some of their more staple prank items were 'banned,' she had no doubt Fred and George had dozens more ready to use.

"As ever, I would like to remind you all that the Forest in the grounds is out of bounds to students, as is the village of Hogsmeade to all those below third year." The Headmaster continued, looking at each and every student as he spoke. With a sigh, as if anticipating a great response with his next announcement, he continued, "It is also my painful duty to inform you that the inter-house Quidditch Cup will not take place this year."