Chapter 31

"I am a bitter and miserable man," King Wright says, mussing his white beard. He leans forward, snatching a heavy glass bottle of a dark liquor from the table. Glass tumblers clink together as he pours five drinks. "Seeing too many of my people starve to death has turned me towards the drink and perpetual darkness."

I blink at him as he continues, "What a cliché. A sad, old King with a drinking problem."

I grab a glass, grimacing as the whiskey burns my tongue and warms my throat. "I think our plan could work, your grace."

Wright chuckles, sipping his liquor. "I think your plan could get us all killed, Elle. But I will place my trust in you."

"Will your people be healthy enough?" Ruben asks.

Wright turns to him, his eyes flicking up and down, considering him. "While underfed, I have prioritised my military. They train every day. Likely, they could crush any of your men."

"We will gather our former Tranquillity patrolmen," I say. "And anyone else who wishes to take part."

"We might need more than that," Killian says, draining his drink. "We might need people to enlist."

"We can't force people," I say, shaking my head. "How many people do you have in your army, your grace?"

He winces and tips the whiskey into his mouth. "562. We have lost far too many to the famine. If we do this, Elle, we must succeed.

I open my mouth to reply but Killian cuts in. "I will tell President Ajax Rowan to round up some troops."

"This President of yours," Wright says, leaning forward. "Did he replace Lord Sneya?"

"Yes," I say.

"I assume Lord Sneya is dead." Wright does not beat around the bush.

Ruben shifts in his seat and throws the rest of the whiskey into his mouth. "Been in the ground for some time now. Ajax is far superior."

Wright nods and pours himself another drink. "President Rowan is a good man then?"

"He is my friend," I say. "If there is anyone that can lead us through a war, it is him."

Wright sips his whiskey, considering. "And if there's anyone that can spark a rebellion, then a war, it's you, Elle Fallon."

"But it's not just about me," I say. "We need more than just a mere girl from the Convex Sector of the Floodgates."

"Yes. We need others. But people listen to you so readily it's remarkable."

"My people do not think me a hero."

"Hero or not, you are the symbol of our war, Elle. The Red Leaf is the face for those who stand against Lord Sneya, and now, Edward Mallory. The motivation for those who do not wish to be at the mercy of famine, disease, or greed."

"We will need time to prepare our people, your highness," I tell him.

"How long?"

"At least a couple of months, if we are to gain strength enough to succeed."

Wright chews his lip and glances between us. "In one month, we shall stage the dupe invasion. Prepare for that, Elle."

"We will be ready."

"If we match the number of soldiers you have, we will overpower the Red Movement," Killian says, finishing his drink and the tumbler clinks as he places it down.

"Well, Killian, I believe that will be up to your President to decide," Wright says.

With that, his employees escort us out of the castle and out of the city. The gravel crunches under our feet as we stand by the train tracks, waiting irritably for the whistle of the engine. The hooded guards and the chained beasts position a stone's throw behind us. The low, guttural growl of the beasts and the clank of their chains keep me focused. At last, the engine of the train bursts into earshot. In the distance, the train clatters into view and the wheels screech against the automatic breaks. The beasts howl.

Beyond the Wallsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें