not enough time

"O-okay," Luke stuttered, shifting his weight from one foot to another

"O-okay," Luke stuttered, shifting his weight from one foot to another. "Um... where?"

"Let's just go outside," Amber said, laughing at the boy's excited yet awkward response.

Luke practically ran towards the door, but Amber beat him to the punch by poofing herself to the driveway and sitting there, waiting for him.

"So... how have you been?" Luke asked.

"Busy," Amber admitted. "I've been out of town for a while, and it's hard to get used to having a normal schedule again."

The boy sitting across from her was confused, not knowing of her ghostly life outside of the one he had seen so far. "Why have you been out of town?"

"Personal study. I'm trying to help a friend with one of his problems, and it's been a little hard to do so in LA. I was just in London for a bit, and before that, I was in Istanbul for about a year. I love to travel, but it's nice to be home with friends again."

"I bet."

Amber could tell how uncomfortable Luke was from his posture, something he was trying to hide, but she knew him well enough to tell.

"What are you thinking about?" she asked, saying the words they would always ask each other during their relationship. The usual responses would be "you" or "music," but Amber knew that wouldn't be the case this time.

"You had twenty-five years. You did so much more than cry in a black void only to reappear when someone played your song on a CD player. I just... can't imagine. And... I guess I want to know what it was like after we died."

"For the first week or so after I died, I watched over you all as your grieved. After that, it just became too hard to not hold any of you in my arms... so I left LA for awhile. Caleb was really helpful, and he kind of became a father figure to me after a while. He guided me through the workings of being a ghost and allowed me to live up to my true potential." There was a hint of malice in her voice, but Luke stayed quiet. "When I came back, I realized what had happened. I tried to find you, but I figured you had crossed over... I kept an eye on Bobby for a bit but then I lost track of him. I still don't know where he-"

"He stole my music," Luke interrupted bitterly. "And claimed it as his own. He goes by Trevor Wilson now."

"He didn't," Amber growled.

"Oh, he did. And that's actually how we made our way to Caleb's club. We wanted to become seen so we could confront him, but we realized that the music that we're making with Julie is more important."

"I swear if I ever see that man again... Anyway, I started to immerse myself in learning. You know I loved English class the most growing up, and so I sat in on lectures at Harvard, Yale, Oxford... it was amazing. And you know how much I loved debate, so I decided to practice with some of the lawyers in the area who died and didn't cross over. Oh, and I got to go to a ton of different events and pretend I was famous and all that... Obama's inaugurations, a few of the Met Galas, the Oscars, you name it. I loved it and I made a lot of new friends, but in the end, it was Willie who really became my best friend. He became my anchor, and I don't know where I'd be without him."

Luke's heart sank at this, wishing that he could have been her anchor. Wishing he could have held her hand and not only been her best friend but boyfriend too like they were when they were alive. He wished everything could go back to the way that it was.

Seeing the look on his face, Amber grew sad. She knew what he was thinking, he wore his emotions on his sleeve. But she also knew that she couldn't just forget everything that had happened. She had finally moved on, and him coming back into her life was throwing a wrench into all of it.

"Luke... I know it seems like yesterday for you. But it's been so much longer for me. I've had time to think, reflect... move on. I'm not saying I have, not completely, but I was making progress. And- and now with you showing up out of the blue, it feels so fast and terrifying."

"I get that," he replied with a sad smile. "But once you figure out what you're feeling, I just want to be there for you. As your best friend first before anything else. And yeah, I still love you, but if anything it makes me want you to be happy."

And with that, Amber couldn't hold the tears back any longer. They came flooding from her eyes as Luke wrapped her into his arms, making her feel safer than she had in over twenty-five years.

"I wish we could've had more time," Amber whispered.

"Me too," Luke replied, wiping the stray tears from her eyes.

"A-am I interrupting something?" Julie appeared before them as she made her way towards the garage, but stopped at the scene before her. Knowing she'd ruined the moment she slowly backed away, leaving the other two laughing at their friend.

"I have to get to know that girl," Amber chuckled, leaning into the boy at her side.

And even though they seemed like they were a million miles apart, Luke knew that it was a step forward.

(AN: i literally cannot fathom how this has had over 3.5k views. i'm so so thankful, y'all literally have no idea how important you all are to me <3. also next chapter's going to be julie/flynn/amber bonding so stay tuned!

i promise to update more, but this month has been super weird haha love you all)