2

GLORY OR VALHALLA
— 2. Petty Quarrels

   That evening, in the Great Hall, Ylva sat at a table with the usual group and her two eldest children, Gyda and Rorik

   That evening, in the Great Hall, Ylva sat at a table with the usual group and her two eldest children, Gyda and Rorik. "We have embarked on a new way of life here," Bjorn announced loudly to the group in a calm tone, "And that was always my commitment as King. To build the most successful trading station in all of Scandinavia. But I will need your continued support. I need my family. Mother?"

"I wish you well in your enterprise, my dear son," Lagertha told Bjorn in a calm tone, the smallest of smiles on her face, "And I'm sure you will succeed. But in the future, you'll have to do it without me."

Hearing his mother's words, Bjorn frowned and looked down at the woman. "I don't understand. Why won't you stay?"

"I've seen enough of war," Lagertha admitted in a soft tone, "I've seen enough of death. I have lost so many," She paused and Ylva looked down sadly since she could relate, "I don't want to be a...A public person anymore. I don't want to be responsible."

Bjorn moved closer to Lagertha and crouched down next to her. He sighed, placing his hand on her arm in comfort. "I desire to live a totally different kind of life."

"How can you do that?" Bjorn asked her in a soft tone.

"I plan to build a farmseat. Just like the one Ragnar and I lived in when were first married, where we were all so happy," She explained, smiling as she glanced around, "I plan to build it in the countryside. Untroubled by the problems of running a large and prosperous town like Kattegat and Ashton."

Hearing their grandmother's words, Gyda and Rorik turned to each other and began to smile at the thought of it all.

"Let me get this right," Ubbe spoke up as he leaned forward in his seat, "You want to retire and disappear. The most famous shield maiden in all of Scandinavia?"

"In the world," Torvi corrected him and Ubbe repeated after her.

"In the world. Will in the future you become a simple farmer, just a forgotten and private person?" Ubbe continued to explain and Rorik shook his head.

"That doesn't sound right," Rorik commented and Lagertha smiled.

"Perhaps. That is what I want, though, Rorik," Lagertha informed her grandson in a calm tone, "I no longer wish to be famous."

"Good luck with that," Gyda muttered as she let out a large scoff.

"You must forgive me, Bjorn, but my mind is made up," Lagertha told her son who simply shrugged.

"Then I must accept it," Bjorn responded as he stood up from his seat, "The decision is yours, Mother. What about you, brother?" He had asked Ubbe as he walked over to him and placed a hand on his shoulder, "Can I count on you, Ubbe?"