3

GLORY OR VALHALLA
— 3. A Different Kind Of Ruler 

On a boat sailing down the river, Freya was standing near Ubbe and Torvi, her arm wrapped around her brother Erik and their cousin Hali

On a boat sailing down the river, Freya was standing near Ubbe and Torvi, her arm wrapped around her brother Erik and their cousin Hali. She smiled when she saw Lagertha lying down close to them, fast asleep with Thyra and Asa.

The four children were about the same age, with Thyra practically the same age as Hali with Erik only about a year or so older than them.

"Grandmother," Gyda called out as she locked eyes on some land that seemed perfect for her grandmother.

Lagertha immediately woke up from her slumber and stood up. She turned, in awe by the sight of the land before her. "Maybe," She admitted softly, gradually beginning to smile as she found it to be the perfect place for her farmstead, "Let's take a look."

It wasn't long before they climbed off the boat. Gyda smiled, her arms wrapped around her brother and sister as she watched Lagertha admire the sight of it all.

Lagertha smiled as she looked around, having flashbacks of when she lived on the farm with Ragnar, Bjorn, and her late daughter Gyda. She even remembered when Ylva had stayed with them for a short while when she was just a girl. She used to fish outside with Gyda while Ragnar would train with Ylva and Bjorn. She remembered all the nights they'd sit by the fire, telling stories.

She had been so happy then. Not anymore.

She knew that deep down, poor Ylva was beginning to feel the same way about her own life.

"You were right, Gyda," Lagertha admitted, smiling as they began to walk through the land, "This is where I should build my farm. This is where I shall live out the rest of my days."

"We will help you to build it," Ubbe spoke up in a calm tone, "We will not sail anywhere until your new farmhouse is built and you're settled."

"I would need some livestock," Lagertha admitted as she turned to face the group, "Not much, a few goats, a pig maybe, a horse to pull the plow."

"My mother's lands are not far from here," Freya spoke up and Lagertha turned to her, smiling, "I am its princess. I could easily obtain those for you, if you wish."

"I would be very grateful, Gyda," Lagertha smiled and affectionately rubbed her granddaughter's arm.

"Are you really going to live here, Lagertha?" Hali asked, a surprised look on his face.

"Yes," Lagertha answered in a calm tone.

"All on your own?" Asa asked curiously as she stared up at the woman.