9

GLORY OR VALHALLA
   — 9. Prophecy

  At Lagertha's farm, it wasn't long before the bandits arrived as expected

At Lagertha's farm, it wasn't long before the bandits arrived as expected. Numerous bandits rode on horseback while others were on foot.

In the trees, numerous children watched from above as the men traveled through. Many of them imitated bird calls, sending signals to alert the others.

Hali was one of those who began to run through the woods. Thyra had been asleep next to some trees when she heard the signal. She immediately sat up and looked around anxiously, just before she began to light a fire with two stones.

As the flames ignited, she bent down and began to blow into it. Once it was large enough, she placed some branches on it before running away.

It wasn't long before she joined Erik and Hali. While Erik and Thyra were able to jump out of the way in time, they watched in horror as the rider swung his sword in Hali's direction.

They watched as Hali's body hit the ground, the two of them tearing up and gasping in horror.

While Thyra was left horrified, Erik was consumed with anger. He raised the bow he held, pointing it in the man's direction before he released the arrow.

The arrow glided through the air before it found its way into the man's back. He fell off his horse, dying soon after.

The sibling duo exchanged a look with each other, glancing down at Hali's dead body before running off. Thyra briefly stopped and turned, her eyes locking on the large group of bandits riding toward them.

With that, they rushed off without another word said. It wasn't long before they caught a glimpse of their cousin Asa. Erik grabbed her arm, just before leading both younger girls to a hiding spot underneath some trees.

It wasn't long before the bandits arrived at Lagertha's village. They looked around until one of the men pointed at the storehouse, demanding it to be torn open.

From his hiding place, Erik watched the men intently with Thyra and Asa close to him.

Just then, an arrow glided through the air before finding its way into the chest of one of the riders. The men looked upwards, finding some young boys standing on the top of the cliffs, shooting arrows at them. Some women stood on the rooftops, shooting them as well with crossbows.

Finally, it wasn't long before the men opened the storehouse, only to have even more arrows rain down upon them.

"Come on!" Lagertha shouted, she, Gyda, and numerous other women charging at the men.

One of the men slashed at Gyda, who shouted out before stabbing him in the chest. She turned and slashed another across the chest.

"Shield-maidens, fight!" Lagertha shouted loudly, "There is nothing to fear from either bandits or death!"