|2|: Lost in Ouran

"So this is the place? Huh. It's not what I expected." I said to no one in particular as I stared at the large pink school, with dazzling architecture and golden gates. This quite frankly intimidating building, happened to be my sister's high school... Ouran Academy.

I was currently standing outside the gates, just taking in the school. It was aesthetically pleasing. The color wasn't terrible, although I'm not much a pale pink fan. I'm more of a hot pink fan.

I took notice of the students around me. I cringed a little at the sight of the uniform.

The girl's uniform was a sickeningly pale yellow, that had a white collar, accompanied by a small red bow. That was just the colors, don't even get me started on the design. The dress had shoulder pads. SHOULDER PADS. Those went out of style in the early 90's. The length of the dress was cut just above the knees, which is a decent length... I guess.

  The pale yellow color clashed against the dark hair colors that most the girl's had. Come to think of it, I don't know of anyone who could pull of an outfit like that.

  Finally, there was the boy's uniform. Which, compared to the girl's uniform, was a big improvement. But it still had its issues. The tux isn't terrible, except for the blueberry color, and the silver emblem for "Ouran" over the breast. The black dress pants seemed more like bell bottom pants. They hugged the legs tightly until they reached the ankles, at which point they were kind baggy. Still though, at least it was an outfit that most people could pull off.

  'Whoever runs this place, must really like pastel colors.'

  I heard a bell chime loudly and all the students who were outside started heading indoors. Knowing that I had been standing around in Lala land for long enough, I hesitantly followed the other's inside.

  The school seemed even bigger on the inside. It kinda reminded me of that one scene from Harry potter and the Goblet of fire.

You know, the one where Harry and his friends enter a camping tent that seems very small on the outside, but is absolutely huge on the inside, thanks to magic. This school kinda reminds me of that tent.

  Giant diamond chandeliers hung from the ceiling, catching the sun's light as it flooded in through the large fancy, antique looking windows, creating a dazzling rainbow light show. I was the only one in the hallway, my awkward and uneven steps echoed through the immense hallways. The school was truly splendorous.

  I could've spent the entire day just exploring the school and taking in its magnificence, but I wasn't there to sight see. I was there on a mission.  'Okay, now where is music room #3?'

~1 hour later~

  "Haven't I seen this statue before?" I said to myself as I looked at a rather strange fountain statue that was in *ahem* an interesting pose. Somehow I had wound up outside, and I was completely lost.

  'Should I ask for directions?' I stubbornly shook off the thought and made my way back inside. I decided to start from the beginning, and I retraced my steps back to the hallway that I had started out in. But it didn't make a difference. I was still lost, and I was growing increasingly frustrated.

  'Dad said this would happen.'

~3 hours ago, in front of the hospital~

  "Okay, so you're sure that you know which way to go?" My dad asked worriedly and I rolled my eyes.

  "For the last time dad, I know how to get to Haruhi's school. She's only told me about it a million times." I replied while crossing my arms.

  My father still looked unsure. "Could I at least give you a ride? I don't want you to overdo it on that leg."

  "Dad, this is something I need to do on my own. Besides, I've been dying to take an actual walk outside, instead of just through hospital corridors." I replied.

"But Hiromi, there will be other chances to take a walk. You don't have to push yourself so hard right after getting out of the hospital. Besides, you know that you get lost rather easily." My father reasoned, muttering the last part of the sentence. I rolled my eyes.

  "Please, I haven't been lost in years. I'm 15 now, my sense of direction has improved greatly." I stated confidently. My father finally relented.

  "Alright Hiromi. Just, be careful." He said in a concerned tone. I nodded and hugged him before walking down the street and away from the building that had held me captive for the past 3 years.

'Haruhi, here I come!"

~end of flashback~

Okay, so maybe my father was right. But at least I managed to get to the school without incident. I mean, I had to ask for directions once, but other than that it had been smooth sailing. Oh who am I kidding? I had gotten lost a bunch of times on the way here.

   "Curse my eternally terrible sense of direction." I uttered dramatically before leaning against the wall.

'I'm gonna die here.'

"Excuse me, is everything alright?" A low and frankly rather creepy voice said, breaking me out of my thoughts.

I looked to my left to see a strange man, with a black cloak draped over his body. The hood was pulled up, covering his facial features and he had a cat puppet on his hand.

  My eyes widened and my heart started beating rapidly. I was frozen in place.

                                   *~*~*~*~*

  The man in the cloak looked at the girl with a guilty expression on his face. He hadn't meant to terrify her to the point of becoming frozen in fear. He had only wanted to help her, because she looked lost. He felt tears pricking the corners of his eyes. He hated that everyone always seemed to be afraid of him.

  The man opened his mouth to speak an apology, but he was immediately cut off by the girl's shouting.

"Ooh! What an adorable little kitty cat!!"

  The cloaked man's eyes widened in shock and he looked up at the previously frozen girl, who's eyes were now sparkling with excitement. He found himself thoroughly confused and all he could manage to say was... "What?"

  The girl must've noticed his confused expression, because she immediately calmed down and smiled sheepishly.

  "Sorry about that. I couldn't help it. Your puppet was just too cute!" She said with a beaming smile on her face.

  The man blushed a deep crimson red, which thankfully went unnoticed by the girl due to his hood covering his face. "T-thank you." He muttered shyly and the girl giggled.

  "My name is Hiromi. What's yours?" She asked while extending her hand for the man to shake.

  He hesitantly took her hand and shook it. "Umehito Nekozawa." He said while avoiding eye contact with the girl. He had no clue how to act around her. After all, most people ran away upon seeing him.

  He had never really had a proper conversation with someone before. Yet, here was this girl, who not only wasn't afraid, but who was now initiating a conversation with him. It must've been his lucky day. His heart was beating a mile a minute.

  The girl smiled at him. "It's a pleasure to meet you." She said before a thoughtful look appeared upon her face. Umehito looked at her curiously. Then Hiromi clapped her hands together and her eyes sparkled.

  "I've got it! From here on out, I'm gonna call you... Neko Chan!" She said randomly while laughing.

  Umehito's eyes widened. She was definitely a strange girl. At first the thought he had scared her, but it turned out that she just really liked his cat puppet. He assumed that she would run away from him, but instead she started a conversation. And what's more, she even gave him a nickname. All of this happened within five short minutes.

  In five short minutes, two previously lost souls had met and become friends. And unbeknownst to either of them, their fateful meeting would set off a series of chain events that would change their lives forever.

__________________________________

* I hope you enjoyed this chapter.