|15|: The anniversary

One day, while with the host club, Hiromi wasn't acting like her normal bubbly self. Instead, she was sitting in a chair with a contemplative look on her face. She had been sitting like that for quite a while now.

"What's wrong with Hi Chan?" Honey Senpai whispered to Hikaru, who shrugged. "How am I supposed to know?" He responded.

Haruhi walked over to her sister and placed a hand on her shoulder. "You doing alright Hiromi?" She asked kindly. Hiromi looked at her sister and gave her a sad smile. "Yeah, I guess I am. It's just hard you know. I still have trouble understanding why all this happened. And why I'm here, but she's not." Haruhi smiled sympathetically. "I'm sure if she was here, she'd tell you that you have so many people who care about you and will want to help you through this."

Hiromi smiled thoughtfully. "Yeah, she probably would. I really miss her." Haruhi hugged her sister. "I know you do." Hiromi looked over at the host club, who were looking in her direction. "I think that it's time I tell them about it." She said. Haruhi squeezed Hiromi's shoulder encouragingly. "I'm right here if you need me."

Hiromi walked over to the waiting host club and sighed. "I'm sure you're all wondering why I'm sad today." She said. The host club nodded.

  Hiromi sighed. "Well, today is the 4th anniversary of the accident in which I lost my leg." She said. Everyone's eyes widened. "Oh Hi Chan, I'm so sorry." Honey said as he skipped over to Hiromi and hugged her. Hiromi smiled and hugged him back. "But that's not all. It's also the anniversary of my best friends death." Everyone looked at Hiromi in sympathy. She took a deep breath and sighed. "It's time that I tell you everything."

~flashback 4 years ago, 3rd persons POV~

⚠️ possible triggers ahead!⚠️

4 years ago, before the accident, and before the hospital. Before hearing all about the host club and Haruhi's strange school experiences, Hiromi was a perfectly normal 11 year old girl. With a nice life.

She had a loving family and lots of friends, but none so special as her best friend, Kanade Sato. She may have had a common last name, but she was a one in a million friend.

Kanade and Hiromi had been friends since preschool, and spent almost every day together. Kanade was the shoulder Hiromi cried on when her mother died. She was the friend who Hiromi could call at anytime of day, if she needed help. She couldn't have asked for a better friend. They were so close in fact, that they finished each other's sentences.

Before the accident, Hiromi ran regularly. In fact, she was even on her school track team. Thanks to her, they had even won nationals. Her goal was always to make it to the olympics. And everyone believed that she would.

Kanade was on the same team as Hiromi, and was co captain to Hiromi's captain. They had a friendly rivalry and often went running together around town. Everyone knew them, and everyone loved them.

One day, Hiromi's team qualified for the junior championships for the 3rd time. They would be traveling to Kyoto in just a few days to compete.

The day before she left, Haruhi and her father threw a party for Hiromi to celebrate her accomplishments. She felt so blessed to have such a supportive family.

And on the day she left, her family saw her off. They weren't coming with her this time, but they would watch her on tv. Hiromi kissed her family goodbye and boarded a bus with the rest of her team.

On the long drive, Hiromi sat next to Kanade and they talked about all that they would do after they won the competition. They planned to visit a few shops afterwards and buy souvenirs for their friends and family.