Episode 10

<Monday>  <Zach's locker>

(Zach) "So Zach, big game on Friday." He heard an unfamiliar voice say. He shut his locker and turned around to see a group of girls standing there.

"Uh yeah big game." He said with uncertainty in his voice. "Who are you, exactly?" He asked.

The girl that was talking walked closer to him and pushed her index finger against his chest, pushing him into the locker.

"My names Brynn. I'm new here and I'm awfully offended that you haven't noticed me yet." She answered flirtatiously. This made him uncomfortable.

She leaned closer to him and whispered seductively into his ear. "How about after the game you and me have a little fun." She bit her lip. Zach pushed her off gently.

"Uh no thanks I have a girlfriend."

The girl crossed her arms. "Since when?" She said in a mocking tone.

"Since a few months ago. Now if you'll excuse me I need to get to class." He rolled his eyes and sighed as he walked away.

Brynn drew a breath and glared at the girl to her right. "You said he wasn't seeing anyone."

"I didnt think he was. My bad." The girl shrugged.

"Well next time do your research."

<back to Zach>

"Hey man, you good?" Zach looked up and saw Dean.

"Yeah I'm good. Just a little stressed."    

"The game?" He asked. Zach nodded.

"I'm fine I just really need to get to class."

"Alright. I'll see you at lunch." Dean said before walking in the opposite direction.

<intro cuts>

(Lane) Lane entered her first class, one of the classes she had with Dave. She sat next to him and the teacher began her lecture. Lane took out a small piece of paper and wrote 'will you go to winter formal with me' on it (italics). She folded up the paper and passed it to Dave. Her heart skipped a bit when Dave smiled and unfolded it and she got butterflies in her stomach when he began to write on it.

He folded the paper back up and passed it back to Lane. Lane unfolded the paper and blushed when she saw yes written on the paper. She smiled and folded the paper back up and leaned back in her seat. She began to fiddle with it and looked at Dave who was already eyeing at her from the corner of his eye, smiling back. This made her smile more.

<after school>

(Rory) Rory and Lane are walking out of school. "Soooo I asked Dave to the formal." Lane said, excitement filling her voice.

"What'd he say?" Rory asked, sounding almost as excited as Lane was.

"He said yes. Well, he wrote yes, but its still a yes."

Suddenly a car pulls up and the two of them stop in their tracks. Rory then saw her father get out of the car and she smiled.

"Dad? What are you doing here?" She asked as she approached him.

"I figured I'd surprise you. Do you want to go for a drive? Your friend can come too if she wants."

"Sure." She then turned to Lane.

"I can't I have to get home."

"Okay well I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Yep." Lane replied before walking the other direction.

Rory got in on the passenger side and Christopher began driving.

"So how was school?" Chris asked.      

"Good."

"Anything exciting happening?"

"Zach has his football championship game on Friday. He's been stressing about it for the past week. There's also a winter formal coming up in a few weeks."

"Sounds like you've got your hands full." He chuckled.

"Yep. Sure seems like it. Will you be there?"

"Of course. I wouldn't miss it for the world." Christopher smiled.

<5:30pm>

(Zach) Zach was in his room sitting on his bed running his hands through his hair anxiously. There was a knock at the door and heard it click open.

"Hey, dinner is almost ready." Luke told him. Zach's head was still down.

"Not hungry." Zach mumbled.

Zach heard footsteps moving towards him. Luke sat down on the bed next to him.

"The game stressing you out?" Luke asked him. Zach chuckled to himself.

"That obvious huh?"

There was a brief silence. "You know," Luke began. Zach slowly looked at up at him. "Failure doesn't define you. Whether you win or lose that game isn't going to change who you are as a person." He continued.

"It's not just that," Zach said. "If we lose this game it could ruin the team's reputation." Zach said. Luke placed his hand on Zach's shoulder.

"Then all you can do is try your best."

Zach smiled. "Thanks Luke."

Luke nodded. He then patted Zach on the back before standing up and walking out of the room. Zach stood up and followed Luke downstairs. Once he reached the bottom of the steps he saw headlights.   

His eyes narrowed in anger. He looked out the window to see his father and Rory getting out of his father's car. He scoffed and turned away from the window.

<<no pov>>

"Thanks for today." She said then hugged him. He hugged back then they pulled away.

"Hey Ror?" Rory looked at him. "Just know that I'm really trying this time. I know I've missed out on a lot but I want to make it right. I promise you it will be different this time."

"I know." Rory said. Chris smiled. She turned away from him and walked inside.

She walked in to see Zach standing there with his arms crossed.

"What?" Rory gave him a confused look.

"Why were you with him?" Zach asked.     

"He showed up at school and offered to take me for a drive and I went with him."

Zach scoffed. Rory shoved her hand against his shoulder.

"What is the matter with you? So what I hung out with him. He's really trying this time and I think you should try too." She said with frustration in her voice.

"Don't you get it? Every time he says that he's trying he then up and leaves. You were there! He showed up for a week and then left! I don't want you hanging out with him. I don't want you to get hurt again!"

"No, you don't want to get hurt! You're scared of getting hurt again! He hurt you countless times and then Maria-"

"Don't talk about her. Don't even mention her!" Zach shouted angrily at his sister, now on the verge of tears. Rory knew then that she went a little far with mentioning Maria.

"You may disagree with me but I want a relationship with our father. And besides he came back this time."

"Rory-"

Rory huffed. "I'm not doing this anymore."

She pushed past him and went into the kitchen leaving Zach standing there. He pushed back his tears.

<the next day> <Zach's locker>

(Zach) Dean leaned up against the locker beside Zach's. He noticed Zach's glum expression face.

"What's wrong?" Dean asked worriedly.

"It's nothing."

"Zach-"

"Rory and I got into a fight last night." He started. "And she mentioned...her" Zach said 'her' in a more suggesting tone.

"Damn." Dean spoke lowly.

"We had a disagreement about her wanting a relationship with Christopher and she said that it wasn't that I didn't want her to get hurt but that I didn't want to hurt myself...and I think she's right." Dean looked up at him.

"I kept setting myself up for heartbreak when it came to him and then she came along. I'm surprised I even started dating Zoey."

"Hey, I've seen the way you and Zoey are." Dean began. Zach looked at him. "And she's not her."

<after school>

Zoey came up to Zach as he was going to practice. "Hey." She said as she stepped in beside him.

"Oh hey."

"I haven't seen you all day, is everything okay?"

"Yeah everything's fine." He lied.

He knew from the look on Zoey's face that she knew he was lying but didn't want to push it.

"Okay well I should let you go. I love you." She gave him a quick kiss then walked away in the direction she came from. "I love you too." He hollered back to her.

<<camera zooms out on him. He starts walking and the credits roll>>