Chapter 41

“... We must come together to ensure not a single citizen...” Emma mouthed along with the man stood on the podium. Jade stared in wonder as the shorter girl regurgitated the Crown Prince’s entire speech alongside him. The romance between them was truly blooming if she was helping him write public speeches.

The Royal party, esteemed guests and the press were seated outside the capital office. The road had been cordoned off and a stage set up to introduce the venture. Jade had bought the building as soon as her finances had allowed it and began hiring her staff immediately.

The Crown Prince was presented a pair of golden clippers and the ribbon cutting was punctuated by polite clapping. The Prince’s secretary announced the next speaker and the Prince departed from the stage with another round of applause.

Jade cast her eyes around the packed seating area and felt a wave of pride at the attendances. Many socialites were given the invitation and all of them had obliged. Charity work was considered appropriate engagement for high born women so it should have been expected but Jade felt bolstered by the success of her event. 

“I hope I conveyed your message across clearly,” The Crown Prince said as he sat down next to Jade. His day crown was situated perfectly on his dark hair. 

“I am honoured you have been so compassionate. Your turn of phrase was very flattering,” Jade’s compliment was genuine.

“Yes, indeed, but I cannot have made any such gestures without help,” The Prince noted with his eyes wandering over to Emma, who sat next to her friend. Jade subtly nudged the shorter girl who flushed red from the praise.

As lunch was served the Prince was surrounded by his usual cohorts. The girls wandered through the crowd with plates in their hands in search of Luke who had promised he would fight for the trifle before it was devoured.

“So, that’s what you have been up to,” Jade grinned at her fair friend.

“He asked for my help. How could I refuse,” Emma shrugged as if the matter was out of her hand. She refused to meet her friend’s eyes.

“He’s deathly scared of making his move. You must be the one to do so if you intend to get married before the turn of the century,” Jade advised. She kept a careful eye out for eavesdroppers..

“Oh, I know,” Emma suddenly flushed from the roots of her hair, “That’s why I kissed him last night.”

Jade nearly inhaled her beverage. Luke patted her in the back as he brought forth the promised treat. Emma laughed at her friend’s predicament.

“T-thank you. You sly minx. I never knew you had it in you!” The tall girl joined in the merriment. Luke offered his arms to the two women with a knowing look. His brother must have confided in him.

“Neither had I,” Emma looked surprised.

“How did he react? When are you going to pick out engagement rings?” The taller girl asked, breathlessly, “Should we bow, now that we know you are the future queen?”

Emma just broke out into a laugh as if it were the funniest thing she had ever heard.
...
Thunder boomed outside, rattling the glass front of Jade’s office. It was only the first day of work and everyone was sat in their respective positions making introductions. There were three women sitting in the back and two out front. Two other men were also appointed for the odd jobs this office would require.

Mrs Peters popped her head through the door opening leading towards the kitchen, “Anyone would like some tea, dearies?”

“I’ve got my mug full, thank you for asking,” Jade brought up the hot cocoa.