Chapter 36

"Don't move, don't speak," Luke's whisper was barely louder than a heartbeat. The rust coloured snake slithered out of sight but the sound of its movement within the long grass was audible. Luke shifted from his bench to hers before Jade could blink.

"I thought you wanted me to say something," Jade uttered gently in Luke's ear. Her lips lightly touched he man's shaved cheek.

"The snake cannot see you if you do not move," Luke replied back. His eyes were on where he estimated the snake was but his lips curved with the briefest hint of a smile. He had understood her teasing perfectly.

"My dress moves even when I breath," Jade mumbled. Luke's hand rested on her shoulder as if he could camouflage her behind him.

"Hold your breath," The man's lips barely moved. In the corner of their eye they could see the venomous creature unravel and sniff through the air as if searching for something.

"Dimitri must know we're here, right?" Jade's voice pitch was higher as the snake found the steps to the pavilion. Luke's grip around her nearly drowned her in its strength.

The snake slithered forward it's tongue tasting the warm air of the conservatory and Jade could not control herself. She pulled her feet up making a tink tink sound with her glass shoes. The reptile shifted left, towards the waiting pair..

"I asked him to give us privacy, tonight" Luke explained with a harried expression.

"Blast it, I suppose you have a weapon. I have nothing on my person. I shouldn't have left my staff back in the room," The brown haired girl had given up trying to be silent. She manoeuvred herself on top of the marble bench and pulled the Prince up with her.

"I didn't expect this sort of an engagement tonight. The only thing on my person is my ceremonial sword and it's blunt like a butter knife," Luke exhaled. His sharp grey were still watching the snake's every move. Jade instead was casting a look around the clearing in search of a weapon

.

"Not even a ring?" Jade laughed making Luke stare at her. He couldn't fathom how she always had her wits about to crack the most rubbish jokes at the worst moments.

"I wasn't proposing," The Prince bit out, impatiently, "I was merely hoping you would disclose your feelings for me. I'm not so boorish to turn up with a ring and a marriage proposal. I'm not like my brother."

"Don't tell me..." Jade yelped as the snake lunged forward. The animal's behaviour was too unnatural for it to be non-magical Jade surmised.

"Lets just say I averted a great disaster," Luke declared, brandishing his useless sword. He rammed it in the snake but it couldn't even penetrate the scaly skin.

"Was he dropped on his head as a child. I sometimes wonder..." The girl announce as the reptile bit into her dress. She pulled it back and managed to tear a chunk off the silvery organza. Her aspirations of getting back to the party, held in her honour, unscathed were now all but lost.

"Stop thinking about him. Think about me," Luke laughed. Jade gave him a cross eyed look and hurled her weighty hair pin on the snake. It barely grazed the animal and clattered to one size worthlessly.

"I'm always thinking about you. But we have a large slithering animal to contend with," Jade brushed her hair out of her face. There was rain of delicate flower all over them as the decorations on her hair could not withstand the rapid movements.