Chapter 3

"Cynthia, here's your gown for the evening," Geppetto draped the high waisted gown over the cork counter.

"Mister Geppetto, you know I abhor fuchsia," The gold haired girl fluttered her eyes petulantly looking like a parody of a school girl. Jade camouflaged her snort by a cough. She was sitting on an armchair at the edge of the counter in one corner so she had a good view of the pretty blonde. The girl was dressed richly with fashionable clothing and sparkling earrings and yet, here she was shopping in a place so removed from the capital's fashionable high street. Jade found that odd.

Jade averted her eyes from the woman and looked around the stuffed shop. Even though her new accommodations were off the beaten path they were an improvement over the inn. She was free to do what she pleased and no eyes judged her presence or a lack of a male one with her.

After Jade's fourth visit to Mr. Geppetto's workshop he had offered her his empty lodger's place. Jade was hesitant, of course. She trusted the man well enough to visit him often but living in the same house as him was a different kind of fish. She had changed her mind only after she realized that she was being followed by ruffians every evening she made her way back to the inn and the comforting presence of elderly Edna, the house keeper, who pledged to share the room with her.

"I do, young lass, but it's the colour of the season and you shall look dashing in this fuchsia ensemble. I even have a pair of gloves ready for you," Mr. Geppetto cooed charmingly.

Cynthia smiled saucily adjusting her fustian Pelisse as she fingered her new empire waisted gown.

"Well, I shall take your word for it," Her lips curved further. She let Geppetto pack her dress as she looked around at the costumes and clothes displayed along the walls. It took a few more minutes and finally she handed her maid the package and left the building after she gave an enquiring look at Jade.

"A splendid actress! Her Shakespearian tragedies never fail to rob a tear from my eyes," Mr. Geppetto commented nostalgically.

"You mean she's a-" Jade whispered, her ears turned red at the thought.

"Like I said an actress," Geppetto's white eyebrows wriggled knowingly. It was very well known what actress was an euphuism for.

"I've never actually met a," Jade shrugged awkwardly, "woman of the night."

"Woman of the night! What sort of ladies novels have you been reading in the candlelight?" Geppetto chuckled as he sorted out a box full of hats.

"I never had to read about them in novels. My horse trainer's youngest son was a fount of knowledge on this subject. They perform on stage and after their work is done they make money by being friendly with the gentlemen pursuing them. Not very respectable."

"My dear, what is a green chit like you doing all alone. Get yourself leg shackled to a nice, young gentleman flush in pockets with coins and live happily ever after."

"I wouldn't even if I could. My stepmother's probably spent my dowry already and I refuse to lower myself to become betrothed to a ... merchant," Jade was sickened at the idea of having to stoop so low, "A gentleman's blood does not mix with a commoners."

"Typical," Geppetto raised his hands in the air, exasperated, "You gentlefolk have the most odious customs. I daresay even the Royal family is less sapheaded then you land owners."

"But you can't deny the Royalty is a strange breed. The youngest Prince has his guards take a shoe door to door so he can find the girl he's met only once. If that isn't strange then what is?"

"True, the youngest is surpassing his father's penchant for dunderheadedness; our esteemed sovereign during his father's reign used to sneak out in the middle of the night to act in incredibly scandalous plays."