Journey West

Jo and I make it to California and step off the bus. Jo's eyes scan everything as we walk.

"It's so bright, and hot," she states.

We find the house that matches the address we found for Jimmy. When we walk up to the gate, we're met by several dogs.

I yell hello, and a woman on the roof responds.

"Pipe down! You selling something?" she asks.

"No, does Jimmy Mariano live here?"

"Does he owe you money?" she asks.

"No, I'm his- Jess. I'm Jess, and this is Jo" I don't know her, I'm telling her who we are yet.

"Jess and Jo?"

"Jess and Jo Mari-" Jo is cut off by one of the dogs barking.

"Frodo, back off, now!" the lady yells.

"I'm sorry, what were you saying?" she asks.

"We just want to see Jimmy, okay?" I tell her.

"Hey, did you ever see the Wizard of Oz?"

"Yes," we reply.

"Remember when they go to the Emerald City, and the ring the bell, and the guy with the beard stuck his head out, and they said that they wanted to see the wizard, and he said no, and they said, 'she's got the ruby slippers,' she he said, 'well that's a horse of a different color, come on in?"

"Yes," we reply again.

"I like her," Jo whispers, smiling.

I think she's crazy.

"Well, I'm the guy with the beard, and I'm saying the no unless you can come up with the ruby slippers."

"We're his kids," I say flat out.

"His kids," she echos.

"Yes, his kids," Jo replies.

"Well, that's a horse of a different color. Come on in," she says, smiling.

"Do they bite?" I ask.

"Just those two," she says, not being specific.

"Which two? Hey! Which two?" she doesn't answer.

"Great. I swear I will bite you back," I tell them.

I walk in, closing the gate behind me. Jo is quick to become friendly with all of them, petting them and letting them lick her. I see the lady round the corner in front of us.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know you were coming." she says.

"Neither did we."

"I'm Sasha. This is Angus, Chowder, Rufus, Legolas, Calgula, Mudball, General Lee, Jimmy Jam, Terry Lewis and Spot. Jimmy's not here right now," she says.

So we've got her name, the name of all the dogs, but no Jimmy.

"Okay, well, we could hang out, walk around for a while. Just tell me what time he gets home," I tell her.

"Why don't you come in? I'll call his work," she says, already walking to the house.

"Oh, well..." I follow her.

"I really like her," Jo whispers.

We enter the house and see more animals

"You have a lot of pets," Jo says.

"Nah, they're not all mine," she says.

"No?" I ask.

"No. Some of them followed me home. Some of them hang out. Some of them just needed a place to crash. They drive Jimmy crazy actually, but what can you do? Someone's gotta take care of them, right?"