Off We Go

Jo's POV

We called Luke and he was, well, Luke. He didn't like the idea of us running around by ourselves, but he trusted us and knew that this was something we really wanted.

Also, there was no way he could stop us. Jess promised we'd call frequently and I promised we'd send postcards.

--

Luke,

We decided to start our journey by visiting Griffith Park. After that we caught a bus to L.A. Jo wanted to hit some museums.

We were able to hit two before finding a motel to stay tonight. We also hit this really cool bookstore. It's called The Last Bookstore.

We bought a few books, a couple that we've never heard of. It's pretty cool.

-Jess

P.S. The bookstore was awesome. They have this thing upstairs called the Labyrinth Above the Last Bookstore. There's thousands of books, and they're only a dollar each.

We also bought a couple of cameras, so we can take lots of pictures. We'll send some as we go.

-Love you, Jo

--

Dear Uncle Luke,

We spent another day and a half in Los Angeles before heading up to San Francisco. We stopped at a place called City Lights Bookstore.

Funny enough this is where Allen Ginsberg's Howl and Other Poems was published. That's a book that Jess and Rory love. That book is what kind of caused their first spark of friendship.

Without it I don't think they'd be where they are now. It's actually really cute. I won't go into detail. They can tell you that story themselves later.

Anywho... we're having fun. Miss you.

-Love, Jo

--

The twins were in their motel room. They had gotten a room with one bed instead of two because it was a bit cheaper that way.

Jess was sitting towards that foot of the bed, one leg hanging off, as the other knee was pulled up with his book resting on it. Jo was lying to his right with her own book.

She was on her stomach with her chin rested on the pillow and her book leaning against the headboard. She wasn't really focused on reading.

Instead she kept glancing at the clock to her left. Once it finally struck four she smiled and rolled over onto her back, and sat up.

She scooted so she sat on her knees next to Jess and started bouncing.

"It's time," she said happily.

"Let me finish this page," he replies.

"Hurry."

She waited a few seconds, watching him. Then she let out a displeased noise.

"Are you reading slower on purpose?" she asks.

"Oh, no. I stopped reading all together when I felt you sit up. I just wanted to see how long it'd take you to notice," he said with a smirk.

"You're an ass," she replied, scooting off the bed.

They had spent the morning exploring, as per usual, and came back to chill out for a bit before getting dinner somewhere close and possibly going out again.

Now was the point in the day they had picked to make their daily phone call to Luke. They'd normally call either just after the breakfast rush, or during dinner.

Those were times during the day the diner wasn't very busy. Jess got up and walked around the bed to Jo's side where she was currently dialing the number into the room phone.

As he sat down he nudged her to scoot over and took the phone from her. She didn't really react and finished putting in the number.

Once Jess heard the voice from the other end he held the phone back out to Jo. She took it and pushed the speakerphone button before placing it back on the receiver.

"Hi, Luke," Jo greets.

"Hey," Jess says.

"Hey. What city are you two terrorizing today?" Luke asks.

They can hear the various sounds of the diner in the background.

"Vegas," Jess replies.

"What?" Luke asks.

"Relax, we're underage, so partying and gambling wasn't an option," Jess tells him.

"Not that those sound very interesting to begin with," Jo adds.

"Well, what do you plan on doing?" Luke asks.

"We saw one of the fountain shows," Jo says.

"We also went to the Bellagio conservatory and the botanical gardens," Jess says.

"We're just hanging out in our motel room. We're gonna get dinner in a little while and then we're going to see the strip. Apparently walking the strip at night is an event in itself," Jo adds.

"Well, I hope you two have fun. Don't do anything too stupid," Luke tells them.

"No promises," they reply.

--

Dear Luke,

As you know from our call we're in Vegas. We wanted to stop off in Idaho on our way back south, but decided against it.

We only wanted to stop in Ketchem because Ernest Hemingway lived there, but he would go in the fall to see the leaves change, so it's the wrong time of year.

Jess also suggested that with all my past problems it wouldn't be the cheeriest of adventures seeing where he ultimately 'offed himself' as he put it.

It's also Idaho, home of potato fields, so there wasn't anything else we were interested in seeing.

The Bellagio fountain show was really pretty. Jess even stayed for the whole thing. Normally he gets bored with stuff like that, but he was hooked the whole time.

We're having lots of fun. Miss you lots.

Love, Jo

AN // -- Thank you for 2500 Reads! 

As always... all grammar, punctuation, and spelling corrections are helpful, encouraged, and greatly appreciated. 

Thank you SO much! 

-- Izzy :)