Chapter Twenty-Two

I prayed to Zianesa, Lukk, Anniva and Siour. Then I prayed to Roe, because he was Deorun's patron god and maybe he'd have more of an effect over them. Tannix stayed quiet as I recited the traditional prayers in Old Ziannan, a language no one could even speak anymore.

I suspected Tannix was ignoring me and praying to his own goddess, but I didn't mind. He was putting on a brave front for me, putting me first despite the pain he was probably in. I was too tired to care. I wanted him to take control again, to tell me what to do. I was tired of responsibility.

Looking out for other people was exhausting.

The door swung open and I ignored it for a moment, just long enough to finish yet another desperate prayer to Zianesa. A hand clamped around my arm and dragged me to my feet. Away from Tannix. The guard backed me into the corner and held me still with a firm hand on my chest.

Kalvahi strolled in and stood in front of Tannix. The difference between them was stark. Kalvahi in neat clothes, carefully styled hair and trimmed beard, his hands resting on his hips. Tannix, tied to a chair, injured and angry and somehow, miraculously, still dignified.

Kassia stepped into the room, cast me a quick glance, and crossed her arms.

Kalvahi broke the silence. "Has your pet told you about what we planned for him, Lord West Draulin?"

Tannix's eyebrows furrowed. "My what?"

"Kassiandra has told me all about the two of you," Kalvahi said. "It's a shame, really, I was beginning to like the boy. I'm curious, though. Why bring him with you if he's so important?"

"I didn't expect to be caught," Tannix pointed out dryly.

"War is no place for a pet, Lord West Draulin."

"Then it's a good thing I didn't bring one, isn't it?" Tannix said. "Lady Kassiandra is assuming too much. She knew us over a year ago, under very different circumstances." He tilted his head to look around Kalvahi at Kassia, who was still standing near the door. "You think I couldn't possibly be good friends with him unless I wanted something? Is that what you're assuming?"

"Finn's a better liar than you are," Kassia said. "And even then, he as good as admitted it. No torture necessary. He isn't a strong willed as you are, Tannix."

"Call me that again and I'll kill you."

Kalvahi laughed, even though Tannix's sharp tone was anything but funny. "Kassiandra, my dear, be polite to our guest. He's Lord West Draulin now."

"I made him Lord West Draulin," Kassia said, as she turned to bang her fist on the door.

Tannix lost control. It lasted for less than a heartbeat, he went from being a brave lord to a grieving son. His entire body tensed, his face fell, and then he dragged himself back. By the time Kassia turned around, Tannix—the part of him that was really good at being Lord West Draulin—was back in control.

When he spoke, he still managed the firm, indifferent tone of nobles who were pretending to be polite to one another. "Was it because I stopped you in Zianna?"

"You give yourself too much credit, Lord West Draulin," Kassia said, in exactly the same tone. She stepped aside as a pair of guards carried a small table through the door. "Finn stopped me in Zianna. And even if I did blame you, I follow orders. Revenge has no place in my line of work." Behind her, the guards set down the table, and then a chair was placed beside it.

Kalvahi spoke in Deoran. The guard holding me in place picked me up and carried me to the table. He dropped me onto the chair and held me while the other guard strapped me down. The only part of me they didn't attach to the chair was my right hand.