Chapter Thirty-Two

The lower city hadn't changed, because it never would. The only difference was that in my expensive blue tunic, and trailed by an armed knight, I stood out more than I was used to. Evrik was uncharacteristically nervous, which I found a little amusing. He glanced around as if he expected someone to leap out and attack him at any moment. Without a word, he followed me through the chaos that was my part of the city, until we reached the old building Baisan and the others lived it.

Immediately I could tell that something was off about our old home. I broke into a run, pushed through the front door and down the short hallway. It was empty. Even the piles of clothing and blankets we used for mattresses were gone. I froze and looked around the room for a moment, my mind racing as I tried to come up with a reason for their absence.

Evrik hovered in the doorway warily, axe in hand. "What's wrong?"

"They should be here."

"Do you think they've been arrested?" he asked.

I shook my head. "No. Not all at once. That doesn't make sense." Baisan wouldn't have taken that kind of risk. Already, the flash of panic was dissipating and I knew exactly how to find my family. "Come on." I led Evrik out of my old home, back through the thin, twisting streets.

The widest street was packed, as it always was, with little booths. People tended to take one look at Evrik and step out of the way, but the merchants recognized him as someone with money and tried to get his attention. More than once, a merchant forced something into his hands and I had to pause to give it back. When we reached the square by the main gate, I leaned against a wall.

Evrik's axe was back on his belt, and he tapped his fingers on the head. "What are we doing? We should leave. Thank the Goddess I didn't bring any money with me or it'd be gone by now. I'm surprised no one's taken my throwing axes yet."

"I've been keeping an eye on you," I promised. "Don't worry. We won't have to wait long." I knew that didn't really answer his question.

He sighed and leaned against the wall beside me. "You know, you're lucky Tannix likes you so much, or I'd pick you up and carry you out of here. Despite any struggling."

"I wouldn't struggle. It wouldn't accomplish anything."

"That's right." Evrik nodded to himself. "Good thing you know your boundaries."

"That's not true," a third voice cut in. Evrik's hand flew to his axe again, but I caught his wrist just in time.

Castin was leaning his right shoulder against the wall beside me, his arms crossed. He was tall, but not quite lanky, and his hair was longer than I was used to. His knife was tucked harmlessly under his belt. It suddenly occurred to me just how long it had been since we'd seen each other. "Finn," he said simply.

"Castin, thank Zianesa. When Baisan told me what you did, I..." I didn't know what to say.

He half-shrugged with his left shoulder. "You're my brother. I had to try something."

"But Stria, and Gale."

His eyes darted off to the side. "Look, I couldn't just... I couldn't tell my son he was named after someone I let die. And I knew that if something happened to me, Baisan, Ninavi and the boys would still be there to help Stria. I guess I have you to thank for freeing me. You and your friendship with the king. Who's this?" He looked over my head at Evrik. "You're assigned your own bodyguard now? Too high and mighty to visit us without protection?"

"Tannix insisted. I'll explain everything when we're all together. Where is everyone?"

Castin nodded at Evrik. "Do you trust him?"