Chapter Two

Tannix looked like he had in my dream. Except that it hadn't been a dream.

He looked as perfect as he always did. Golden brown hair neatly cut, blue eyes I couldn't quite bring myself to meet. His blue cloak swept the cobblestones at his feet, and was held in place by a gold pin. Underneath he was wearing a pristine white tunic and black pants. A sword hung from his left hip. Three rings caught the morning light. I did a double take. Tannix usually wore two rings—his Order ring, on his right thumb, and his crest ring on his right index finger. The new ring was on his left hand.

The guards dragged me across the courtyard. When we stopped in front of him, I still couldn't bring myself to look up at Tannix. I stared at his boots, and I shook my head in an attempt to get my damp hair out of my eyes.

I flinched when Tannix touched me, and probably would have fallen over without the guard's grip on my arm. Tannix brushed the hair away from my eyes, then let his hand drop to grip my shoulder. I raised my head. He was looking over me coldly, the way someone might look at a horse he was about to buy. I tried not to let that bother me, but it was almost impossible to keep my feelings under control.

He had come, and now that he had me, I knew I was safe.

He looked to the guard who was still holding my arm. "Let him go, he can't get away."

Tannix was right. I tore my gaze from him briefly. A quick glance around the little courtyard proved that there was no escape. The walls were smooth. Guards patrolled the top and stood in front of every door. There was no way I could get out. The guard released my arm.

Tannix's cold gaze landed on me again. I couldn't help but think of that last time I had seen him, when he'd faltered over telling me my sentence. He was better at the act now.

"He hasn't been well taken care of."

"Of course, sir, he was going to be hanged. There was no reason to take care of him."

"Of course," Tannix agreed distractedly. "Well, at least you let him clean up."

"That was our idea, sir. We thought you would appreciate it," the same guard said. He seemed to want to please Tannix, and I could understand why. More than ever, Tannix exuded power. His name alone gave him more authority than most people could even imagine, and the way he was acting only added to the effect.

Tannix nodded. "Yes, thank you. I will put in a good word for you." He was clearly dismissing them. The two guards thanked him and bowed, then they both walked off across the courtyard.

Tannix and I stood for a moment, silently looking at each other. His cold demeanor slipped, just slightly. "We have a lot to talk about," he finally said softly. "But we can't do it here, not with all these guards around. Are you hurt?"

"Just..." It was the first word I had said in more days than I could count. "Just my wrists."

He gently tugged me closer and untied the rope around my wrists. My skin looked irritated and puffy, but the wounds were clean. He turned my hands over to see the rest of the bruising and scrapes. "I'll take a closer look at the inn."

"Inn?"

"You look exhausted. I have a room in the port. You can rest for a day or two before we go to West Draulin. It's... I'm sorry, it is going to be a bit of a walk."

"I can walk."

A brief smile lit up his face. He looped the rope around my wrists again, more for show than to actually hold me, and started to lead me towards the largest doorway. "We'll get some food, and then we'll talk."