Chapter Thirty-Three

Baisan was right, but getting in to see Tandrin was a little more difficult than I anticipated. He was almost constantly in meetings, and whenever he did have a free moment he disappeared with the queen. Even with Tannix's help, it was a few weeks before I found myself in the king's office. Tandrin was sitting at his desk, distractedly looking over paperwork, I was curled up in the chair, and Tannix was pacing behind me.

The brothers were deep in discussion, and I was trying to patiently wait for my turn.

"I can't spare anyone else. You're staying in Zianna solely to avoid duties back in West Draulin, so you might as well make yourself useful," Tandrin said.

"You think I'm here because I'm too lazy to go home?"

"That isn't at all what I said," Tandrin said. "But you're uncomfortable with your responsibilities. So if you're not going home, do this for me."

Tannix stopped pacing and ran a hand over his face. "Navire, though? What am I supposed to do? I'm not an ambassador, I'm a—"

"Soldier, yes, I know," Tandrin interrupted. "You're also the richest lord in the kingdom, and King Zianna's younger brother."

Tannix groaned. "This is exactly why there's never been a Tandran king or queen, you know. It gives our family too much power."

"Regardless, Queen Navire will appreciate the gesture."

"The gesture? How is sending your brother into a potentially hostile environment a gesture?"

"How isn't it? Besides, Navire hasn't been antagonistic towards us in centuries. The truth of the matter is, we need help. Navire will recognize that the second Deorun is done with us, they'll be the next target. The queen will see reason. You're leaving in a week. You can take your men, or I'll assign you new ones. And I'll give you a translator."

Tannix grumbled under his breath, and for a long moment said nothing. I was about to speak up when he muttered, "As you wish, your majesty."

Tandrin sighed and glanced up from his papers. "Don't be bitter about it. Are you taking your men or not?"

"Of course I'm taking my men. What kind of question is that?"

"And Finn, I assume."

"And Finn."

That seemed like as good a moment as any to speak up. I waved my hand to get their attention. "Can I... say something?"

They both seemed surprised, but Tandrin nodded. "Go ahead."

"Well..." I paused. Even though I had run through the speech multiple times in my head, I was still a little nervous. "Zianna has more or less the same population as Deorun, don't we? So we should have more or less the same fighting force, right? So instead of worrying about Navire—although I do think talking to them is a good idea—you might want to think about your own people for a moment."

Tandrin leaned back in his chair and crossed his arms, looking both confused and intrigued. "I'm always thinking about my own people."

"All of them?" I asked, his interest helping me warm up to the subject. "You have armies and guards in every city, you have highly trained personal knights and excellent navies. But they're made up of Telts and Crelans. Your people include Native Zians, and you have to remember that we aren't worthless. We would fight for our kingdom if we were given the opportunity. Prince Kalvahi is counting on us turning against you, and it could happen unless you show the people that you consider them part of the kingdom. Make us feel like we're part of this country, give us the opportunity and the training, and we'll fight with you."