Chapter 45 | Silent threats?

I throw my bag to the ground, watching it spin across the floor.

Then I immediately go and pick it up, reminding myself that this was not my house and I can't just throw my shit around.

Jessie's house was nice, her parents were away on a holiday, and she had no siblings, it was peaceful.

Eerily peaceful.

Meri and Buddy were still with Thea as Jessie's house wasn't the most pet friendly.

Joel and Jessie were still at school, Joel's final wasn't ending for another hour and Jessie had to meet with a teacher about catch up work.

I would normally wait, but I was exhausted and wanted to sit down.

This past week had taken a toll on me.

I'd only had one exam so far, and I was dreading the others.

Not only were exams now in full swing, but I had this feeling.

Like someone was constantly following me, I felt it on the bus ride home, I felt it walking to the house, I felt it as I unlocked the door.

Which is why as soon as I put my bag on the table I go to close the curtains.

I'm being irrational, I'd had this feeling ever since that brick was thrown through the window, and for the next few days we'd been so cautious, but nothing else was happening.

It was just my imagination running into overdrive.

Yet I couldn't shake it, I couldn't stop this feeling.

All I could do was deal with it.

I traipse into the kitchen, hating the silence more than ever, and turning the radio on to fill it.

It did very little, the static worsened my growing headache and the aggressive music was not to my liking.

But it was better than the silence.

The housing arrangements had been a bit off at the beginning, but I was staying in the spare room, while Joel slept on the couch.

I'd wanted to say he could stay with me in the spark room, but I didn't have the courage.

I didn't know if he'd want to.

I didn't even know what we were at the moment.

I'd been so wrapped up in school, and everything that was happening that I could muster up enough courage to ask, and when he never instigated that conversation I gave up.

Deciding that I should probably get some studying done, I grab a rice cracker, picking up my bag again and making my way upstairs, running through everything I have to do in my head.

Before I can open the door to my room, I hear my phone ringing, so I pull my bag forwards to answer it.

"Hello?"

"Lizzie!" Jessie's voice hums down the line, "I just finished the meeting, so I wanted to let you know I'm on the way back now and I'll pick up some takeaway for dinner, do you have any preference."

I mull over my choices, pushing open the door, "I want to say pizza but-" the words die in my throat before I can vocalise it.

The rice cracker falls from my mouth and I stumble backwards, screaming in shock and terror.

My phone falls the floor, and I hear Jessie frantically asking what's wrong on the phone, but I can't bring myself or answer it.

The sight in front of me renders me paralysed in sheer fright.

No matter how hard I try I can't make myself move as tears start streaming from my eyes.

Whether they're out of fear or something else I don't know, but my head is spinning and I feel like vomiting.

All over the room, bleeding down the furniture and the walls is red paint.

At least. I'm assuming it's paint.

That thought is even scarier than anything I could imagine so I dismiss it immediately.

Staining the white walls are crude words.

Brushed across the furniture are marks and threats.

You can run, but you can't hide.

You can't escape this.

You owe us a debt, and we will get what is owed, one way or another

The threats decorate the room like fucked up wallpaper.

What scares me the most, is not what they say.

But how they're here.

Someone was here.

In this room.

They knew I was staying here.

They knew this was my room.

They knew who I was.

Somehow they got in.

I didn't even realise.

And they could still be here.

That alone kicks my body into high gear, and I pickup the phone, leaving the bag and sprint out as fast as I can.

It's neither graceful nor skilled as I pretty much throw myself down the stairs, banging open the front door and onto the open street.

I immediately trip over and land sprawled on the pavement, barefoot, still in my sixth form uniform, tears streaming down my face and Jessie screaming down the phone at me.

I'm gasping, I feel as if my lungs have collapsed, and my heart is beating so loudly I'm afraid it'll burst out my ribs.

Making one attempt to put the phone to my ear and communicate what just happened to Jessie is rendered useless as I can do nothing but sob, scream, and gasp for air.

So I drop the phone again, curling into a ball on the side of the street, not caring what happens.

It was broad daylight, people were around, walking their dogs, mowing their lawns, driving by.

I don't know how long I lay there, but I know that four people have attempted to talk to me.

The first stopped quickly because as soon as I felt their hand on my shoulder I started screaming without even looking up.

Just the thought of anyone who I didn't know near me was too much right now.

I must have looked insane, criminally insane, but I didn't care.

It didn't even cross my mind.

Then:

"Lizzie!"

I feel arms wrap around me.

The screams start up again, and I can't control them, he's holding me but I'm thrashing around.

I'm pretty sure I smack him in the face a few times but he never flinches, never lets go, just holds me closer.

"Sssh, it'll be okay."

His voice soothes me, and the tears run out and screams die down, and I curl up in his arms, whimpering and burying my face in his chest.

"Joel- they wuh-were in the h-house and I-"

"I know Lizzie, it's okay, you don't need to say anything."

I'm so unbelievably grateful.

I hear Jessie nearby rapidly talking to the police.

The thought crosses my mind, I know I should tell her to stop, not to get the police involved, but I don't have the strength.

Instead, I just curl up tighter in his arms, fooling myself yet again, that I could be safe.

That this would ever end.

If only I knew, what would happen.