phoenix

"She what?" The surprise and concern in Charlie's voice caught Juliet off guard

"She what?" The surprise and concern in Charlie's voice caught Juliet off guard. She was sitting in the living room, a small canvas sitting on a mini easel in front of her. She'd been too wary to leave Charlie alone when he got home from work since Bella left, and he wouldn't say it, but she knew he appreciated it. She'd been sitting on the floor painting while Charlie watched ESPN when the phone had rang, though she hadn't really been paying attention until now. "How did that happen?" She'd set her brush down now, leaning back against the recliner behind her as she listened.

"No, no. I had no idea." He now sounded more confused than worried, though that still remained. "He was?" Juliet stood up, curiosity getting the best of her. "Oh." She saw her dad frowning as she entered the kitchen. "Yeah, thank god." He looked up, and Juliet raised an eyebrow at him. "Yeah, yeah of course. Here, will you tell Jules? I have to go look at those prices." Juliet looked confused as Charlie held out the phone to her. He mouthed Renee so she took it, and he left the room.

"Mom?" Juliet spoke into the phone. "What's going on?"

"Oh, it's so good to hear your voice honey." Renee sighed. "You need to call me more often, I miss you."

"Sorry, mom, I kinda forget-between work and school and stuff." Juliet frowned, leaning against the counter. "Is this about Bella? Did something happen?" Renee sighed again.

"You know how she came back down here?" Juliet nodded, humming a response. "Well that boy Edward and his dad and sister Alice came here too, he was trying to get her to go back home. Bella agreed to talk to him and went to his hotel. She was on her way up to meet him when she tripped down some stairs and fell out a window."

"She what?" Her mirror of Charlie's reaction made Renee chuckle.

"God, you are so much like him." She breathed. "But don't you worry, she'll be fine!" Her voice was back it's usual, upbeat tone. "We're so lucky Dr. Cullen was there, I swear, that man looks so young to be a doctor. And the girl, Alice, ugh! She's a sweetheart, have you met her?"

"Uh, no not yet." Juliet's eyebrows furrowed together. She didn't even know what Edward himself looked like, let alone had she met his family. Charlie's words before he handed off the phone popped into her head. "What was dad going to look at the prices of?"

"Oh, plane tickets!" Renee said, as if she herself had also forgotten until now. "When Bella wakes up, I wanted you to come down here. Just for a weekend, nothing big. Ease his mind by having you check on her, plus I get to see you for a little while. I hope that's alright."

"Oh. Yeah, of course mom, I want to see you too." Juliet couldn't tell if she'd meant her words or not. Of course, she did want to see her mom-it'd been over a year-but did she want to see Bella. Even if she had gotten hurt, Juliet couldn't just forget about what had happened when she left. She didn't think she ever would. The look on Charlie's face as he watched her leave was ingrained in her memory, playing over and over again at the front of her mind all day, everyday.