Chapter 3 - Goble and Verne

Chapter 3 – Goble and Verne

          “What? You mean Thatcher have you on the neck?” I could imagine Ray’s veins bulging out of his neck.

I switch my phone to my other ear as I thought his surprised reaction permeated the capacity of my ear to sound sensitivity. I felt the cold air brushing my legs. I should have worn a thicker pair of black stockings. They aren’t helping me at all. And even my deep red knee-length coat could not keep me warm from winter. I just reminded myself to buy thicker ones for next time.

“She’ll fire me if I can’t persuade Eva Goble to sign with us.”

“Eva Goble?”

Thatcher seriously believes that when we get Goble, our problem will dissolve like a bubble. If we get her sign with us, money will flow like rain—a thunderstorm if we get lucky.

“The suspense thriller writer who breached her contract with Stone Publishing.”

“Hold on!”

I know hearing Stone’s name raised his interest.

“I know what you are thinking, Ray. He’s behind this,” I reply. “He just won’t stop.”

Hunter Stone, I guess, finally resorted to desperate measures. His brain has finally drained all creativity he has in there. If he could not get me through persistence and leniency, then he might with this. It’s my job at stake! I am nobody without this! My Dad’s dialysis depends wholly on this one job I have.

“Where are you now? Are you going to Stone and surrender yourself, Angel?”

I actually thought of that. What an easy way to end this. I could both save the publishing house and still be assured with Dad’s continuous treatment. The last time I had to make a decision for my family’s sake, I ended up ensnared by the delusion of fairytales; I ended up blinded by the promises of forever; I ended up falling too hard that I had to die before I rid of the feelings. Die? Not literally. But I did. I was worse than a living corpse when Damien left me.

“Hey, Angel? Are you still there?”

“Yes, Ray.”

I do not want to stress myself thinking about the past. Mom is right. Moving forward is the only way for me. I was trapped in the wilderness for months; I don’t want to go in there again. Not this time with this one, I guess.

“No. I am not going to Stone.”

I thought I heard a sigh of relief from Ray.

“You almost got me there, dear Angel.”

“I am actually outside Eva Goble’s house. I am going to try this one out,” I say.

This time I am going to use my brain and my confidence to myself and my capabilities. I did not get into McGarry’s Publishing for nothing. I was the second best when I graduated from the university. I always do well when I put my mind into something.

“Go for it, Angel! Prove Thatcher she was wrong for blackmailing you.”

“She will be proven wrong, Ray.”

Before I knock on her door, I check on myself with the use of my compact mirror. I retouch with some cheek tint and light pink lip stick. I guess I look presentable and okay for the reputable Eva Goble. I heard she’s a little bit critical to people’s appearance, especially to the ones she talks to. May said Eva’s just aging too fast that’s why she’s always cranky. Well, she’s way her fifties.