Chapter 19 - On Hunter's Defense

Chapter 19 – On Hunter’s Defense

RING! RING!

Hunter jerks as his phone rings and unexpectedly disrupts the growing suspense. His grimace indicates sheer annoyance while the long sigh I heave is out of pure relief. When I thought I was more than excited, the truth is I was not even an inch ready to uncover the reality, which the man is more than willing to divulge now. The longer I watch him stare at me intently, with a thought at the back of my mind that whatever Hunter tells me now might break the preconceived opinion I have for him, the more anxious I grow. Hunter might pull a few tricks in order for me to have a change of heart. With the way he has asked of whether I might think twice or not if he spills the truth out is suggesting of some hope.

Honestly, I’m confused now as to how I should feel about knowing the reason. Although a part of me strongly feels it will not change a thing about anything, I’m still scared—scared it might stumble upon a fissure and instigate something more than just confusion. I don’t know what it will be, but one thing I am sure now, I am not comfortable to hearing it, and I am thankful of the sudden interruption of the phone call.

Groaning, Hunter opens his mouth and begins to mutter words that command for my complete attention.

“Paul?”

His hand reaches for his temple and rubs it leniently. What could Paul be telling Hunter that the latter looks rather nervy?

“Okay, I get it. We’ll be there in…” He peeks at his watch, and then says, “ten minutes. Keep the old man entertained, okay?”

Then he shuts his phone down and starts the engine of the car.

His keeps his eyes on the road, and I instantly feel that he has lost the mood for a conversation.

It did not take us ten minutes when we reach a sky scraper made of steel frame and glass curtain walls. It mirrors the color of the blue sky and shimmers as the sun reflects on it. Stone’s name is printed out in embossed silver letterings outside his building. One will immediately recognize it is he who owns this huge empire of about fifty floors.

Paul meets us at the top floor after a tiring ride in the elevator. I presume the top floor is Hunter’s personal area where his office could be found. The entire floor is purely dedicated for the employees whom he can promptly command at his disposal. Everything in the top floor is white and gray. The curtain walls are wide and huge, overlooking the busy streets of Trenton. I feel like I could reach the horizon at arm’s length.

Walking along the wide corridor that is lined with big doors that appear to be small offices, I let Paul lead me to somewhere while I let myself drift into what my eyes can see beyond.

“Ms. Mohr.” Paul’s voice stuns me. “Keep up please.”

I fail to see which door Hunter has gone into because I was too preoccupied looking outside and thinking of how relaxing the view is. Moving my head to my sides, I try to figure out which among the doors could Hunter’s office be and if where Paul would lead me.

“Are we heading for his office?” I ask.

“Yes,” simply answers Paul.

“Is Hunter in his office?”

He shakes his head and says ‘no’.

“Who is he meeting with then?”

Paul halts and turns his back away from me. With eyes so scrutinizing, I think he’s been instructed by Hunter not to reveal so much on me.