Preview: Chapter 5 - Damien

THUMP! THUMP! THUMP!

The boisterous thumping of feet against the wooden door catches my attention. I climb out of my bed and hurry to open the door. I did not have enough time wipe the tears off my eyes. After mom’s laughter had died out, I just got this feeling something is off. It better be not about Dad or else…

 Ray is as pale as blank sheet of paper. He is catching his breath.

“Oh, Angel!” He sounds so worried.

“Is it Dad?” I slam the door behind me.

“No.” Groping over the right words, Ray is shaking.

“Then what’s wrong?” I calm for a bit knowing Dad is just fine. But it could not be Mom, could be?

“The news… He’s in the news… He…”

“Ray, won’t you relax a bit?”

“… They took him to the Medical Center… Oh, if you have only seen the news… the photos…”

“What exactly happened, Ray?”

Mom and dad emerge from the corner of the hallway just a few steps away the stair landing. Their hands entwined. Their faces painted with concern.

“What is going on, guys?” I ask.

“The news didn’t say much of his current condition but I think with that kind of impact, I…”

“George,” Mom cuts in.

“What’s wrong, mom?” Why won’t they just tell me?

Silence fills in the air.

The three of them exchange looks, probably just waiting from any of them to spill the news.

“I don’t think Angel must know,” Ray says carefully after seeing me distraught.

“She has to know,” Dad utters.