Striking

Abigail stood in Daphne's bedroom in front of one of the two mirrors. Also in the room were Lady Bridgerton, Eloise, Hyacinth, and Daphne's lady's maid Rose, as well as her maid Olivia. 

"The sapphires, Miss?" She heard Olivia ask and turned to look at the diamond encrusted sapphire earrings and necklace set she held out. 

"Yes, please Olivia." 

"Oh sapphires will go lovely with that shade of blue Abigail." Violet commented which made Abby smile as she began to take the earrings from her maid. 

Her dress was a pale, maya blue with glittering beads lacing the outer layer of her skirt and bodice. Lady Bridgerton was correct, her sapphires would work nicely. 

"May I see?" She heard Hyacinth say, popping up from the bench she sat on. 

"Of course." Abby held the earrings out in her palm and the ten year old leaned over to view them as they sparkled in the candlelight. 

"Whoa, those are gorgeous!" She exclaimed. 

Abby chuckled and said, "Why thank you. They were my mother's." She put them through the holes on each lobe, then moved to lift the bottom half of her updo so Olivia could put the necklace on. 

"Will it be the pearls or the rubies for you, miss?" She heard Rose question Daphne. 

"Oh the pearls, of course." Violet answered. 

"Mama, perhaps the rubies might catch the attention of even more new suitors?" 

Abigail let her hair down as Olivia finished clasping and glanced over to see Violet and Rose look at her friend with an odd expression.

"If I am not to put all my eggs in one basket, I must.. collect more... eggs." Daphne rambled and they all laughed. 

"I agree with Daphne, the rubies look lovely, and we surely shouldn't leave everything up to the men." Abigail commented, knowing precisely why Daphne had chosen the rubies. 

She and Daphne had covered quite a bit earlier that day. After Daphne had told her about the Duke, she inquired about the small cut on Abigail's cheek. After which, Abby practically tumbled out everything that was happening at home. Between her father and her brothers and how she basically felt like she was holding her family's reputation together with two hands. 

Once Daphne had listened all the way through and took a moment to contemplate, she eventually said how fortunate it was that she was under the Bridgerton's protection now, and that she wouldn't let anything go wrong pertaining to the Bentley name. Abigail couldn't agree more. Every moment she spent with the family was further confirmation at how grateful she was to not have to be alone anymore. 

At that moment, Abigail's focus was snapped back to reality when their housekeeper came bustling into the room, looking out of breath. 

"Good heavens, what is it Mrs. Wilson?" Violet questioned. 

"The Queen Ma'am." She responded, catching her breath. 

"Has she fallen ill?" 

"Has king George caused her harm?" 

"Her majesty's royal stationery." Abigail noticed. 

"She has written to you, my lady." 

The room fell silent as Lady Bridgerton took the note, slowly. Then quickly, as if reality was catching up to her, she hurriedly unfolded the paper. 

"What does it say mama?" Hyacinth piped up. 

Reading it over, Violet stuttered out, "I-I am invited to a private tea with The Queen in two days' time." Laughing with glee, she turned to Daphne and said, "Never mind the pearls, you shall wear the family diamonds tonight."