Victorious

"Nigel is my one and only child." Lady Berbrooke rattled on. God in heaven, she sure could brag about her toad of a son. 

Abigail sat at the tea table next to Daphne with a forced smile on her face. She knew this was necessary, and yet she couldn't help but think that if only the woman knew what her son was really like, she wouldn't boast so much. 

"Very special boy, indeed. In fact, I often say God did not less me with another because perfection had already been achieved." She chuckled and bit into yet on ether cake. 

"My goodness." Violet commented. Even she could see how awful that man was, and she didn't even know the full extent of his allegations. 

"Mhm. Not every lady can be so blessed I know." 

Abigail almost lunged across the table at her. That was a direct remark against Lady Bridgerton. Apparently condescension ran in the Berbrooke name. 

"Miss Bridgerton..." Lady Berbrooke shifted the conversation and pulled Daphne out of her mind and back to the table. "Allow me to set my eyes upon you." 

Abigail felt for her. Daphne didn't even know the purpose of this tea. As far as she knew she was still expected to marry this woman's odious son. And now, she was to be judged like a show dog in front of a woman who thought far too highly of herself. 

"Certainly healthy, even if your countenance is a bit drawn." She remarked. 

Abigail slyly reached over and grasped Daphne's hand in reassurance underneath the table. Some form of comfort she could provide. 

"It was a terribly late evening." Violet came to her daughters defense. 

She was rather impressive, how she was able to fake politeness in order to get done what was needed. Abby was unsure if she wanted to know how she had acquired this skill. 

"All the excitement I suppose. Yet you must try harder, dear. My Nigel is quite discerning." Their guest continued to crow. 

Abby snorted into her cup of tea, but quickly passed it off as a cough. Setting it down and continuing to clear her throat, she placed a hand on her chest and delicately smiled at the horrid woman in front of her, who glared suspiciously.

Although, she had made Daphne smile at least. A small one but still, she could see it out of the corner of her eye. 

"He already turned away many more handsome debutantes," she cast a sidelong glance at Abigail who smiled, sickly sweet. "Saying 'Mother... I prize accomplishment over beauty.' Can you believe it?" She bit into the biscuit she was holding and it crunched loudly, filling the awkward silence in the room. 

Abby noticed how much the stack of cookies had depleted since tea had started and she knew it solely had to do with the greedy woman in front of her. 

"Shall I ring for some more biscuits?" She suggested and moved up from the tea table to pull the cord near the fireplace, alerting the servants hall downstairs. 

"Miss Bentley..." Lady Berbrooke began as Abigail went to sit back down. "Tell me, what are you doing to find a match as superb as Miss Bridgerton and my Nigel's." 

She didn't even have time to respond before Violet swooped in. 

"Abigail is attending the season's events with us. I'm bringing her out with Daphne." Violet said. 

"Well I would suppose you would have to after what happened to her mother." Lady Berbrooke commented which made Abigail's jaw set. "Tell me dear, the illness she died from, was that a familial trait?" 

Abigail was too taken aback to say anything in response at first. All she could feel was anger. Direct fury she felt towards the woman. She would have acted on it too, if Mrs. Wilson hadn't come in with a fresh plate of biscuits at that moment. The housekeeper casted a mischievous glance at Lady Bridgerton as she set the plate down and politely exited the room.