Concern

The Queen's luncheon was less of a luncheon and more of a garden gala. Complete with a string quartet playing while everyone chattered and visited amongst the fully-bloomed gardens. It looked like a scene from a painting, very picturesque. 

"Well isn't this lovely?" Abigail heard Violet say from where she stood, on Anthony's arm in the back of the brood that was the Bridgertons. Violet was at the front. "All of us together again. And with some new additions." She nodded to Abigail and the Duke. 

While Abby understood what Violet was getting at, she couldn't help but cringe on the inside as she knew the situation was far from lovely. For most of the Bridgertons, yes, it was exciting, but for Colin this had to have been dreadful. Not to mention Abigail was still trying to determine what kept Daphne from acting so un-Daphne-like. 

"Lovely indeed, we should tempt scandal more often." Colin's tone was still raw and bitter from earlier this afternoon. 

Two women, along with apparently the rest of the ton approached them all, but more specifically Daphne and Simon. Everyone was practically crooning to talk to, or even simply see the new Duke and Duchess back from their honeymoon. 

Yet, Abigail wasn't listening to what was being said ahead of them. She was too busy watching Daphne's stiff shoulders and strained smile. Too busy deciphering what could have happened at Clyvdon to put Daphne in such a state of mind. 

"I wish I knew what was happening inside your head." It was Anthony's voice that startled her out of her thoughts. 

Chuckling at herself, she noticed his hand had made its way around her waist. A rather bold move considering they were in public without having announced the engagement. But there seemed to be enough people preoccupied with the Duke and Duchess to keep them safe. 

"My head isn't always a place you'd like to be." She commented, offhandedly. 

"What were you thinking about?" He questioned, a concerned tone now laced in his voice. 

"I am just worried about..." realizing Daphne might not want to share her troubles with her entire family, she changed courses, "Your brother." She nodded to Colin. 

"He'll live." Anthony gave a rather disgruntled sigh.

"Anthony, have you given a moment's thought to what he must be going through?" 

"Of course I have, but everyone has been lied to before. It is awful but we overcome it." 

She took a long, deep breath, thinking of how she could phrase her point. 

"So, if I told you, right now, that I was with child. That I had been with another man, and that everything that had passed between us had only been to get you to marry me, you would be unaffected?" 

He furrowed his brows and there was a long moment's pause before he looked her in the eyes. 

"You make me a better person, do you know that?" 

She laughed. 

"It's what wives are supposed to do, so I'm told." 

"I do not know how you manage to feel what everyone else is feeling." 

Abby simply shrugged.

"I just pay attention, that's all." 

He gave her waist a squeeze, which she supposed was his substitute for a kiss as they were in the middle of the palace gardens. 

"Would you like some champagne?" 

"I would love some." 

Anthony left to find either a table or a footman and Abigail looked around, now noticing the crowd had dispersed and the Bridgeton's had separated. Noticing a maze to her left, she entered it, wanting to hopefully escape the mindless chit chat of the ton inside the hedges. 

As she walked she could hear the distinct voices of Daphne and Violet up ahead. Not wanting to eavesdrop, she slowed, but she couldn't quite get her body to turn around. Daphne's voice was near shouting now and Abby could hear her, plain as day. 

"If you had informed me about the things that were truly important, if I'd have known the truth, then perhaps I—" Daphne's words came to a halt.

Still around the corner, Abigail couldn't see why but she could hear footsteps coming her way. She stayed utterly still, unsure of what to do, it wasn't too absurd for her to be in the maze, but then again she was alone. 

That point was moot, however, because when the said footsteps rounded the corner, it was only Daphne. She was crying, or rather trying not to. Yet once she saw Abby, her best friend, her only comfort at the moment, she broke. 

Daphne broke down crying, trying to keep quiet for the sake of the entire ton being only a few yards away. Nevertheless, she collapsed in Abby's arms and embraced her in a hug as they both sank to their knees. For the first time in her life, apart from when her mother died, Abigail didn't know what to do. 

She always had a solution, a plan. And now, she was rendered speechless. She simply whispered calming words in Daphne's ear as they sat there on the grass, attempting to comfort her best friend in the whole world the best way she could. She just hoped it would be enough.

(Ok yay!! Another chapter done! Now with my new work schedule you guys should expect updates either Mondays or Tuesdays. Hope you liked it!!)