Christmas Special

Tilting her head as she watched Derek wrap the presents in front of them, she narrowed her eyes confused. She couldn't remember them buying any of this when they'd gone shopping the other week. Although, the biggest problem was the fact that it didn't matter where they hid any of it, Talia always seemed to stumble on something. It was impossible. But they'd hidden most of it.

Bringing the glass of wine to her lips, she pushed herself to her feet and crouched down to look at the collection of toys on the floor. Realising that she hadn't been there when any of this was bought, she narrowed her eyes looking to Derek who was still focused on wrapping the presents. She placed the glass on the table behind her knowing full well that something was going to happen.

"Derek," she began, and he hummed, "when did you get all of this?" She asked, and he froze slightly turning to look at her confused.

He had an innocent look in his eyes, and it was the same look Talia would pull whenever she'd done something wrong and she knew it. "We bought them the other week," he reminded, and she raised her brow before picking up one of the dolls and showing it to him.

"We didn't buy this."

"Yeah we did, honestly Hayley, motherhoods slowing you down," he joked as he grabbed onto the tape again. Noticing that he was wearing his jacket (the one which always had his wallet in) she nodded slightly waiting for his suspicions to drop. Once he was completely void of all tension, she pounced on him tackling him to the floor and digging her hand into his pocket, "hey, no, no, no," he urged just as she managed to grab onto it and she pulled out the receipts just as he rolled them around so that she had her back on the floor.

Avoiding all his jabs as he tried to grab onto the receipts that she was reading, she dropped a few that were completely irrelevant before she found the one that was not only from the toy shop but was dated the day before. "I knew it!" She cried out as she read through the list of them all. He sighed pulling back and fixing his pocket. "You're spoiling her."

"I am not spoiling her. It is her first-"

"Your spoiling her," she cut in, a teasing smile forming on her face.

"I'm not. I'm simply being-"

"No. You're spoiling her," she fought, leaning closer and he sighed for a second time turning to look at the presents as she pressed her forehead to his shoulder.

"Yeah, I'm spoiling her," he finally admitted.

"There's nothing wrong with that," she assured, "as long as in the future she recognises her privilege... but she's not even one yet so... she won't for a while," she mused. "But just remember you're the one wrapping these and putting them together," she joked.

"You can help me."

"I've already helped you. I also wrapped Cora and Peter's, it's your turn," she dragged out and he hummed, "although, I am happy to go and eat that mince pie."

"What are we going to do about the carrot and the milk that's been there for the past four hours," none of them had wanted to drink or eat it because they didn't necessarily like it.

She pursed her lips as she grabbed onto the two unwanted items heading towards the kitchen. Pouring the milk down the drain, she went back into the main area biting into the carrot only to grimace at it. "This should be you doing this," she complained as she put it back down onto the plate grabbing the mince pie instead. He laughed as he looked up at her and she stepped over the collection of presents taking a seat beside him.

"She's not even going to understand any of this," he added on and she hummed nodding.

"No she's not. God dammit," she cursed, laughing as she did.