➴ Chapter Thirty-Eight: Ground ➴

<< Why do we stray so far from the ground? >>

«────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ──────»

Woosh.

It had been a while since [Name] was given the freedom to run so much. She had to physically restrain herself from dashing off into the trees that she hadn't seen in years. The (h/c) glanced behind her, wincing as the guns' silencers hit against her thighs as she jumped over ridiculously enlarged roots.

"These are a lot bigger than what the books said," Norman commented, glancing back behind at him to check on the other children. He rose a brow when he didn't see any tripping up or falling behind. "They're doing surprisingly well."

[Name] side-eyed him. "I trained them to copy Zazie and Isaac, who copy me. Are you alright, though?"

Norman nodded. "I'm fine. My physical weakness is only with my immune system, so my stamina's fine."

"You're warm enough?" [Name] pressed. Norman flashed her a small smile of reassurance. Changing the subject, he furrowed his brows at the mentioned overgrown boys.

"I'm surprised Isaac can move this well," he noted. "Wasn't he blind before today?"

"The information we extracted from Lambda," [Name] shifted her backpack, where the tablet lay, "says that while his brother was tested to bring his speed and strength to the extreme, Isaac was experimented on so that his senses would be to that same extreme. You're the extreme for intelligence."

"Right," Norman's eyes softened sadly for a moment before he slowed down to a stop. Turning around with that professional, leader-like expression that [Name] was still not used to seeing, he signaled for everyone to stop in their tracks. "We've run enough. The tall grass has made it easier to hide our tracks, but we shouldn't spend our energy so much. Let's take a break for now - we'll continue in a few minutes."

Vincent skidded to a stop beside the albino, watching as the rest of the preteens and teenagers caught their breath. Or rather, they would've been catching their breath if they were normal. Surprisingly, none seemed even the slightest bit exhausted.

As the night sky shimmered above her, [Name] continued to walk as the rest of the group stayed in place. Norman, noticing her movement, called out to her.

"Where are you going?" he asked. [Name] raised a hand in acknowledgment, but didn't reply. Her eyes scanned the dense forest, taking note of where there were roots.

The Snakes of Alvapinera. We need to get to a place without these things. She glanced behind her at the resting children. I doubt that every single one of us managed to avoid touching the roots. There's a good chance that the trees are active. Which means we have to get moving soon.

"[Name]," Norman tapped her shoulder gently, trying not to startle the (h/c). He followed her concerned gaze, fixated on the vegetation. "I know. We'll get moving soon. You already know the real reason I stopped, right?"

He flicked his gaze towards a cluster of bulbous plants, shaped like underwater anemones. In his hand was the book from [Name]'s room - The Adventures of Ugo. Flipping it open, Norman tapped his finger at one of the pictures - which happened to be the very same anemones.

"I memorized the whole novel," he said. "According to it, those anemones should contain drinkable water. It should be accurate - the real Minerva wouldn't have put them in there for no reason."

"Do you have a plan to extract the water?" [Name] asked, stepping around the roots to kneel beside the anemones. "Lambda didn't have any metal utensils."