⚜ Chapter Twenty-Three: Human ⚜

<< What does it take to be a human? >>

«────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ──────»

<< Date: November 9, 2045. Day 2 at Λ7214. >>

That night, [Name] dreamt.

Submerged in a warm liquid, [Name] couldn't open her eyes nor move her body. Her body was smaller than she remembered. She couldn't open her eyes.

Echoing through the chamber, [Name] heard a woman's voice singing. The voice wasn't familiar, but a flash of recognition went through [Name] as she heard the melody. It was the song of the music box, the song that that stranger had sung to her.

Only she had seen the stranger before. Why was she in this liquid again?

"My first memory was of being inside a dark, warm liquid," Ray recalled, "listening to my mother as she sang me a lullaby."

Was that what was going on?

Turning around in the liquid, she bumped against a soft wall, the whole chamber vibrating as she did. The song had stopped, so [Name] assumed the woman was laughing.

"What's so funny?" She heard another voice say, although still female, was clearly a different person.

"I feel them kicking," replied the first woman. "It's rather adorable, I must say."

"Perhaps they're confused on why you're singing to them in such a strange language," mused the second. "I've never heard of that song before, what is it?"

"It's a song my mother sang to me," the first explained. "Or, I assume she was my mother, it was so long ago."

"None of us have met our parents, though."

"I know, but I hope that my first child will remember this as I did."

"Your first?" [Name] heard a gasp. "You're not planning to..."

The first sighed. "You know I'm not fit to be a Mama or a Sister. The most I can do to survive is to produce as many children as possible."

"That's even worse. You want to be a breeder for the demons? How low can you get?"

"They already have those for the factory farms. I'm not sure how I can survive for much longer like this."

There was a pregnant silence after that. [Name] bumped against the wall again, trying to navigate in the dark. Well, it wasn't like she was going to get anywhere, considering that she was a fetus, but it gave her something to do. The chamber shook again as the woman chuckled.

"I believe they want me to sing again," she mused. "Well, I should get back to that."

"It's a shame that someone like yourself wants to do something like that," the second woman exhaled. "Such a shame. What would Henry say?"

"Firstly, my brother is dead," the first snapped. "Even if he did find out, he'd understand that I am doing what I must."

"I doubt that," muttered the second. Another sigh, and the first began to sing once more. However, when the familiar words and melody tried to reach her ears, they only faded away to nothing, giving way to a loud, mechanical-

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

The sound roused [Name] out of her dreamland, the (h/c) blinking away her drowsiness in confusion. It was the first time she had really dreamt in a while - it wasn't a nightmare either. Like many things in this facility, that dream was something she didn't understand.