♫ Chapter Five: Wonder ♫

<< I wonder, why are things the way they are? >>

«────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ──────»

The sun peaked over the walls circling Grace Field Orphanage, bringing a bright orange light into contact with the night's dark blue, creating a beautiful contrast in color. Light shone through the glass window and onto [Name]'s resting face, effectively bringing her out of her slumber.

Reluctantly, she peeked open her (e/c) eyes, blinking away at the remaining drowsiness. She squinted at the clock from across the room. Squinting against the bright light, she could barely make out the time: 5:30.

[Name] yawned quietly, rubbing her eyes. She still had 30 minutes before they had to get ready for breakfast. Dragging herself from her bed, she hugged her pillow close to her chest as she climbed onto the windowsill.

The sun slowly but surely rose, chasing away the gray clouds of yesterday. [Name] leaned on the glass, clutching her pillow in her arms. She let out a content sigh.

Unlike the past week, the orphanage was oddly... serene. Ever since Emma and the others jumped into her life, [Name]'s days were never boring. It was almost overwhelming. Emma's chaotic self couldn't stay in one place for long. She was always running around and inserting herself into everything.

THUMP!

[Name] flinched, glancing behind her She suppressed a laugh at the sight before her. Emma had rolled off her bed and was now sprawled on the floor with her blanket barely wrapped around her. Her mouth hung open as she quietly snored, drool hanging out of the corner of her mouth.

[Name] rolled her eyes, a fond smile on her face. Over the week, she had grown attached to the ginger, despite what she told herself. She jumped off the windowsill, landing delicately on her feet. It was a skill she had learned from Marin when he was teaching her to tree-travel.

Stepping over Emma's body, [Name] slid her pillow under the ginger's head. She tried to take her blanket to properly cover her, but Emma had a firm grip on it. [Name] sighed. She went over to her bed and draped her blanket over the sleeping girl. Subconsciously, Emma smiled, snuggling into the newfound warmth.

[Name] let another smile slip. She jumped back onto the windowsill and went back to watching the sunrise.

«────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ──────»

"Hey, [Name]."

[Name] looked up from where she was dangling. Marin sat beside her on a different tree's branch, oddly serious. The two had developed a routine of hanging out near the clearing where they had first met.

"What do you want to do when you get out of here?" he asked. [Name]'s eyes widened. She swung upwards on the tree, repositioning herself to sit properly on its branches.

"I'm not sure," she said. "I never thought that someone would want to adopt me."

"Well, I want to become a famous ballet dancer," Marin said. He smiled sadly. "Although it'll probably never happen."

[Name] tilted her head.

"Why is that?" she asked. "You're an amazing dancer, and you'll get even better if you get into a ballet school."

"It's not that, it's- Nevermind," Marin chuckled, but for once, it was humorless. [Name] furrowed her eyebrows.

"Are you alright?" she asked. "It's not like you to be so grim."