Storm

The vibrations of the car were reassuring, like the hug of a mother to her child during a storm. And, in effect, that night the sky was ink black and the heavy rain was freezing the air.
Lisa thought that, after all, she was quite happy to be inside a warm car, with the machine heating system on and the engine rumbling quietly.
Suddenly she started to feel tired: how much time had passed since the last time she had slept? Lisa couldn't even remember. Despite the fact it was just her first day out of the Laboratory, its memory in the Hybreed's head was confused and she couldn't figure it out clearly in her mind. The only concrete, existent things in that moment were the car, the rumbling of the engine mixed with the strong, sudden thunders and...
Alex was driving, eyes fixed on the road, and he hadn't looked at her from the moment they had gotten into the car after dinner. His elegant clothes matched perfectly with the insides of the car and Lisa could not evitate to think he seemed being in his natural environment. She had never seen other humans than the Doctor and his assistants -but they didn't count- until the Market Day. In the Laboratory every Hybreed could only imagine how human beings were like. There was no one to explain them, no one to suggest them anything, no one to speak with them. No one who cared about them. Lisa's thoughts brought her again to the scene of the restaurant: that feeling of misunderstanding and neglect hit her again with the strength of a runaway train. All those miserable creatures under the tables staring at her with a mix of envy, pain and loneliness in their eyes. That guilty feeling inside her bones, crashing her heart like a hummer breaking glass.
She didn't notice the rapid movement of Alex's hand on the car's touch screen: in just a second an armonic, melancholic melody spread in the vehicle.

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded

Her sight began to blur.

Everybody rolls with their fingers crossed

She must have been too tired, she knew it.

Everybody knows the war is over

Eddie used to talk about the War sometimes... Where is Eddie?

Everybody knows the good guys lost

Eddie was such a good guy, everyone said so at the Laboratory

Everybody knows the fight was fixed

The Laboratory... All the other Hybreeds she had left behind... There... Who knows what's going on now...

The poor stay poor, the rich get rich

Social injustice: Eddie called it this way, once.
"Humans kill and fight each other just because of their physical differences or their beliefs. Puy attention when you're with them, Lisa..."

That's how it goes

Yeah, there was no escape... Mmh, maybe she should rest a bit...

Everybody knows

Lisa's eyes closed and she fell in a deep sleep with no dreams.

▫️▫️▫️

"Hey sweetie, we're at home. Sleeping in a bed is more comfortable than in a car, isn't it?"
Alex's smile lighted the ink black sky, while the sudden thunders seemed furter.