Memberships, Mentorships & Critique Groups

👇🏽      MEMBERSHIPS      👇🏽

Why should I become a member of a writer's association?

There are many regional and national literary organizations that can help writers in a variety of ways. Some writers associations / organizations are free, while others charge membership fees. Among the many perks of membership are things like:

✒ help with literary agent searches

✒ arranging meetings with editors

✒ resources on writing conferences and workshops

✒ providing information about grants and awards

✒ improving craft techniques

✒ keeping up with changes in the publishing industry

Before joining a writers association, create a list of benefits you're looking for as a member, and be sure to ask a lot of questions to make sure the group is appropriate for you.

What kinds of memberships are we talking about?

Depending on your chosen form of writing expression, you can find an association to fit every niche. Here are but a few:

The Authors Guild - A professional organization for writers; great for keeping up with the changing face of the publishing industry and issues related to copyright protection. (authorsguild.org)

AWP - Association of Writers and Writing Programs provides support, advocacy, resources, and community to nearly 50,000 writers, 550 college and university creative writing programs, and 150 writers' conferences and centers. Their mission is to amplify the voices of writers and the academic programs and organizations that serve them while championing diversity and excellence in creative writing. (awpwriter.org)

SCBWI - Society for Children's Book Writers and Illustrators is an international professional organization specifically for those who write and illustrate for children and young adults. (scbwi.org)

RWA - Romance Writers of America offers romance writers the opportunity to stay on top of the latest trends in the industry, technology, and the craft. (rwa.org)

NWU - National Writers Union focuses on freelance writers. They represent the interests of writers in the US in all genres, media and formats; including writers of diverse cultures, ethnicities, politics, religions and racial identities; writers of all ages and all sexual/gender orientations; writers with disabilities; and writers at all levels of economic and commercial success. (NWU.org)

IWWG - International Women's Writing Guild is a network for the personal and professional empowerment of women through writing. Their mission is to encourage women to tell their stories, provide support and instruction as they seek to improve their craft, open avenues for them to bring their writing into the world and build their confidence. (IWWG.org)