TikTok

TikTok has become a behemoth in the social media landscape

TikTok has become a behemoth in the social media landscape. This is likely due to the variety of platform features that allow users to create entertaining videos that are quickly and easily digested by TikTok viewers. And BookTok is a subcommunity that takes the platform to the next level for authors looking to make their mark here. We've compiled a list of best practices for TikTok if you're considering this platform for your author brand.

1. TikTok is easy to navigate and use. You can record your video directly on the platform or you can record it on your phone and upload it to TikTok. There are built-in features to add music, text and special effects, just like Instagram.

2. It is a lot easier to reach people on TikTok than other social media platforms. You don't need a single follower on TikTok for your videos to be seen by others.

3. Don't just post and run. Like any social media platform, you'll get the best engagement when you communicate with others. Follow accounts that you enjoy, like and comment on other people's posts, and build connections.

4. Create a Duet challenge. TikTok's unique Duet feature allows you to post your video side-by-side with a video from another creator on TikTok. For example, you might create a video of you writing in your favorite cafe and then challenge others to duet with their own favorite writing space.

5. Focus on quality over quantity. Don't post just to post. TikTok users value creativity, humor, and authenticity over anything else. So whether you post once a day or once a week, be thoughtful about what you're sharing with your audience. Some ideas for memorable TikTok posts are:

     a. Book cover release

     b. Host a Q&A

     c. Share character bios and book quotes

     d. Story mood boards and aesthetics

     e. Book and swag giveaways

     f. Writing and publishing tips

     g. Talk about your favorite books and authors

     h. Read a page from your book

     i. Host unboxing videos of books and swag you receive

6. Make sure you're following TikTok video trends! If you see a lot of similar versions of a trend or challenge on your For You Page, create your own version to appeal to your niche audience.

7. Use the Stitch feature. Stitch is a creation tool that allows you to combine another video on TikTok with the one you're creating. Likewise, if you allow another person to Stitch with your video, they can use part of your video in their own video. You can control who you allow to stitch with your videos.

For more details about how to find success as an author on the TikTok platform, Wattpad's own crystalandfelicity have created two informative YouTube videos that focus on TikTok and BookTok. 

This chapter marks the end of our social media series. We hope you've taken away something useful to help you curate your author brand.