NaNoWriMo Field Guide

So, you're embarking on the annual write or die journey of National Novel Writing Month, also known as NaNoWriMo, or just NaNo. We salute you! For those of you who don't know what we're talking about, NaNo is a global creative writing event in which participants attempt to write a 50,000 word manuscript during the month of November.

Whether this is your virgin voyage or you're a veteran, we know that success comes to those who pack the right equipment. To help you on your way, here are a few items you might need on your pilgrimage to 50k.

✽ Make a schedule that works for you - Before Nov 1st rolls around, choose your favorite calendar, the one you use most often, and write down the amount of time you believe you can devote to writing your novel each day

✽ Make a schedule that works for you - Before Nov 1st rolls around, choose your favorite calendar, the one you use most often, and write down the amount of time you believe you can devote to writing your novel each day. Yes, each day. The minimum daily goal is 1,667 words. If you know in advance the days you are most likely to exceed that word count, schedule extra time for writing that day. Keeping the momentum going and staying on track will give you peace of mind, especially on days that you don't hit the minimum number.

✽ Get non-NaNo tasks done - Chances are you have a to-do list of life things that 'should' get done. To give yourself the best chance at hitting your word count goals, try to knock out some of those tasks before Nov 1st.

✽ Get organized - When plotting out a new novel, many writers accrue notes, images, character aesthetics, and online bookmarks to articles; the inspiration and documentation that relates to their story. Organize these things so they are within reach and easy to find when you're trying to hit your word count goals.

✽ Declutter your workspace - It can be hard to focus when your desk is piled with random things like dirty dishes, unopened bills, and cat toys. Spend some time cleaning the area where you work before you start clocking those NaNo hours. You will be pleasantly surprised at how freeing this is.

✽ Outline your novel - Once again, before Nov 1st, spend time outlining your novel and developing your characters. Even if you are a pantser, when it comes to writing on a deadline, having a basic story arc to follow will keep you on track and reduce the chance you will hit a wall or miss a huge plot hole and have to retrace your steps.

✽ Brainstorm plot points - Whether or not you decide to outline your story, you should at least consider the main plot points: the hook, the inciting incident, the climax, and the resolution. If you're looking for inspiration, take a walk somewhere you don't usually go, watch a movie and pay attention to the characters and setting, pick up a novel in the genre you want to write in, or just start writing ideas and see which ones excite you.

✽ Pinpoint the stakes and conflicts - Often we get halfway through our first draft and realize the story is losing steam. Sometimes this is because we haven't thrown enough obstacles into our protagonist's path, or we haven't raised the stakes. As with plot points, it's helpful to make a list of potential conflicts your characters might face or problems they'll need to solve so you don't have them chasing false trails (and wasting precious writing time).

✽ Spend time with your character(s) - Consider creating a backstory for your protagonist at the very least. If you understand your character's motivations, goals, history, and fears, this information can help carry you through the plot whether you have an outline or not.

✽ Get excited about your project - Whether this is a brand new idea or something you've been wanting to write for a long time, it's always easier to write something that makes you excited. Find inspiring photos or images that represent your characters and settings, experiment with book covers and story titles, play with name generators for your characters, create a Pinterest mood board and social media posts. Share your journey with as many people as possible. Have fun with it!

For more information about National Novel Writing Month, visit nanowrimo.org 

If you're looking for more Wattpad communities that promote and support NaNoWriMo writers, give WattpadNaNoWriMo a look.

✽          ✽          

Image credit: The Simpsons animated series