roku {六}

Shinji woke to a knock on his door. The light was barely peeking through his window, and he could tell it was still early. He groaned. What could be so important that it couldn't wait until a more decent hour? He slipped his haori on and slid the door open a crack.

"Ayame? What're ya doing here? It's still so early."

Ayame looked around. "Can I come in?"

Shinji cursed himself for only putting on his haori but stepped to the side. Ayame entered and closed the door behind her.

"Aizen just left."

"I see."

"What am I supposed to do while he's away? I have no one here other than you."

Shinji sighed and sat back down on his futon. "There's plenty of places to explore in Seireitei."

"Alone?"

"Listen, I'm a captain. I can't shirk my responsibilities just to keep you company."

Ayame made a face.

"What?"

"You really have grown up. The Hirako I knew-"

"He's dead. I'm not the Hirako ya knew. He died a long time ago. The Hirako ya knew shirked responsibility at every opportunity and got into way too much trouble for his own good. I'm different now. I have things to protect." Shinji sighed and leaned his head against the wall, closing his eyes.

Ayame chewed on her lip. "I guess that can't be helped. You found a new life. One with lots of heroic men and beautiful, badass women."

"Say what ya wanna say!" Shinji snapped.

"I don't mean to pry, I'm sorry."

Shinji opened his eyes and looked at her. Urahara was right. His actions had impacted her.

"Ya said ya wanted to know the new me, right? Ask away. Any question ya want. I'll answer honestly."

"Did you, did you really sleep with them?" Ayame asked, sitting on the floor in front of him.

"Yes."

"Are you, um, interested in that sort of thing?"

"Why would I do it if I wasn't?"

"That's fair," Ayame said, shifting uncomfortably.

"Do you, um, do that a lot?"

"No. That was the first time."

"Are you going to do it again?"

Shinji sighed. "Yeah, probably."

"Who are they?"

"My best friends."

Ayame swallowed audibly.

"If yer only here to ask about my threesome, ya can leave." Shinji stood and walked to fill up his kettle.

"I'm sorry. I just don't know where to start."

Shinji set the kettle on the stove and turned it on. He turned to face Ayame. "Their names are Urahara Kisuke and Shihouin Yoruichi. Urahara is the captain of Squad Twelve, the Bureau of Research and Development. Yoruichi is the captain of Squad Two, and Commander-In-Chief of the Stealth Corps. She's also a princess of the Shihouin clan."

"Do captains only mingle with other captains?" Ayame asked.

"Nah, but we don't mingle outside of our squads often."

The kettle screeched and Shinji took it off the flame. He sprinkled some green tea leaves in the pot and grabbed two cups.

"What does it take to become a captain?"