7 - Getting the Team Together

The sun was dropping toward the horizon when Sam pulled up into the parking lot of his apartment. With a sigh, he turned the engine off, grabbed his backpack, and began to walk up to his apartment.

He had barely been able to focus during his two classes that afternoon. Even though Sinclair's lecture had been interesting, concerning the weapons wielded by the ancient Greeks in the Iliad, Sam had only taken notes half-heartedly, probably missing more than half of what he said. Part of him wished that Sinclair had lectured on weapons on a different day, since he had even had replicas to show the class. It would have been quite interesting if the end of Sam's world hadn't been approaching at a rapid pace.

Cate was leaning against the wall outside his door, her booted foot up against the wall. She was dressed similarly to how she had looked yesterday, complete with the sword. Giving Sam a grin, she gestured toward his door. "Ready to catch a serial killer?"

Sam gave her a long suffering look and Cate just laughed as he opened the door. Then he stopped dead.

He had completely forgotten about his roommates.

Like normal, Marcus sat on the couch working, humming tunelessly under his breath, while Raj typed furiously on his laptop as he sat in an armchair, notebook resting precariously on the arm of the chair. Sam glanced from them to Cate apprehensively, his mind working swiftly to find an explanation for her presence in their apartment.

Girlfriend? They wouldn't believe it. Friend? Probably wouldn't believe that either. Second cousin once removed who I just realized is attending the same college as me? Hmm. They might buy that.

Sam reflected on how sad it was that his roommates would believe the most complicated of the three stories, but not the two simpler ones. Also, he thought it annoying they wouldn't think him capable of finding a girl like Cate who would go out or even just hang out with him.

Cate's not a girl. She's...I'm not even sure what she is. Goddess? Reaper? Deathly personage?

"Don't worry," Cate told Sam, noting his look. "Your roommates can't see me."

Sam was about to sigh in relief when Raj started, knocking his notebook off of the armrest. His eyes wide, he stared around the living space, gripping the laptop with a deathly grip. "What was that?" he gasped, glancing at Sam. Then he went pale.

Marcus frowned, glancing up at Raj and then looking to Sam. "What? What was what? Raj, for crying out loud, what has gotten into you lately?"

Raj didn't answer him, just kept his eyes pinned on what should be empty space to him, if Cate was right. But the look on his face made Sam think Cate wasn't right. He glanced at her, lifting an eyebrow.

"Okay, screw that," Cate said warily, regarding Raj with a puzzled look. "One of them can see me."

Marcus, meanwhile, looked again from Raj to Sam, taking in the one's frightened expression and the other's questioning look, both of them looking at apparently empty air. Sam was not too surprised when he twirled his finger in an insane gesture. "What is wrong with you two?"

"Cate?" Sam asked, ignoring him. "Why can Raj see you?"

Cate directed herself to Raj. "Raj, have you ever seen someone die?"

Pale, Raj nodded reluctantly. "My grandparents," he murmured.

Cate looked to Sam. "That's why. Sometimes, those who watch a close loved one die can see us."

"Did I miss something?" Marcus suddenly exploded. "Who's Cate? Why is Raj nodding? What about his grandparents? Who in the hell are you talking about? Or to?"